• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

do parrots grind beaks when sick?

birdlady91

Meeting neighbors
I'm always paranoid Leo is sick (for example after he does something slightly weird once or has a slightly different poop etc). Even if it's just a one time thing after having too much water or him just being a weirdo, it seems birds get sick super easily so I'm always on edge about it. He's always grinding his beak at night and when he's taking a nap so that makes me feel better but I was wondering if they grind their beaks even when sick? Taking a bird at the first sign of illness is what should always be done no matter what so I'm not using the grinding as an indicator of health, I'm just more curious than anything :).

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I've never heard of a bird grinding their beak when they're ill...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ripley was quite sick when I got him and has always done beak grinding since day 1 of being with me :)

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Beak grinding isn't just a sign of contentment, but it's also used to, well, keep their beaks in shape. Much like a rodent who's teeth continuously grow, birds also need to keep their beaks in shape.

I imagine that a sick bird wouldn't grind their beak if they were feeling too sick to even perch. Otherwise, I they will most likely continue to grind their beak even if they are feeling a bit off.