• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do male Green Cheeks sit on eggs?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I know male birds can take turns sitting on eggs, but I wasn't sure if that's all birds or just certain species & I couldn't find info specifically on green cheeks. I'm not trying to breed birds, but I figure the folks with answers are more likely to find my question here.

Our cinnamon girl Harley started coming off of her 4 dummy eggs about 2 weeks ago. I left them in the cage because she has been going back to them occasionally and I wanted to be sure she was finished so she wouldn't start laying again if I removed them. Two days ago, our yellow-sided Scott was laying face down on the eggs for the first time ever, while Harley was elsewhere in their cage. It struck me as odd that Harley would suddenly trust him on her eggs (which she did not when she started laying over a month ago.) Scott has been back on the eggs a few times since then, carefully tucking any strays back under him with his beak. That's when I noticed a 5th egg. (Again, there are only 4 dummy eggs in the cage.) :blink: I counted the next time he got off of them and sure enough there are 4 slightly larger dummies and 1 normal-sized, real egg. This morning I picked up a small 1/2" round white ball from their upper level near their food dish. Harley has never laid eggs up there, so I am starting to suspect that perhaps Scott might be Scottie? Could the tiny egg I found this morning come from an inexperienced layer?

Harley is not being her usual grouchy self like she gets when she starts laying and she has been mostly off of the eggs so I don't suspect her. I'm trying to get a look at Scott's underside to see if he might be rounded but I worry my mind might be playing tricks on me and I can't remember exactly what his bottom looked like before. :think1:
20180702_154255.jpg

Last edited:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Good thinking, @Eloy! She's no breeder, but surely she's seen some, er, activity.... :ashamed1:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I know male birds can take turns sitting on eggs, but I wasn't sure if that's all birds or just certain species & I couldn't find info specifically on green cheeks. I'm not trying to breed birds, but I figure the folks with answers are more likely to find my question here.

Our cinnamon girl Harley started coming off of her 4 dummy eggs about 2 weeks ago. I left them in the cage because she has been going back to them occasionally and I wanted to be sure she was finished so she wouldn't start laying again if I removed them. Two days ago, our yellow-sided Scott was laying face down on the eggs for the first time ever, while Harley was elsewhere in their cage. It struck me as odd that Harley would suddenly trust him on her eggs (which she did not when she started laying over a month ago.) Scott has been back on the eggs a few times since then, carefully tucking any strays back under him with his beak. That's when I noticed a 5th egg. (Again, there are only 4 dummy eggs in the cage.) :blink: I counted the next time he got off of them and sure enough there are 4 slightly larger dummies and 1 normal-sized, real egg. This morning I picked up a small 1/2" round white ball from their upper level near their food dish. Harley has never laid eggs up there, so I am starting to suspect that perhaps Scott might be Scottie? Could the tiny egg I found this morning come from an inexperienced layer?

Harley is not being her usual grouchy self like she gets when she starts laying and she has been mostly off of the eggs so I don't suspect her. I'm trying to get a look at Scott's underside to see if he might be rounded but I worry my mind might be playing tricks on me and I can't remember exactly what his bottom looked like before. :think1:
View attachment 280899
Looks like he's protecting the clutch of eggs. That spread out of the wings is usually a protective move.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
And from my experience, dad might help with feeding but the gcc dad don't appear to be like the tiels. Dad has fun, helps protect the nest, watches mom sit and then helps with food and training.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I have not had anyone other than Giggie sit on her eggs and I never saw Carlton sit on them. I have seen Tuck talk to his and Rue's and roll them around but not sitting. Oh Rue does sit on them when it's dark but not during the day.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I have not had anyone other than Giggie sit on her eggs and I never saw Carlton sit on them. I have seen Tuck talk to his and Rue's and roll them around but not sitting. Oh Rue does sit on them when it's dark but not during the day.
The gccs are the 1950's parents where dad does the minimum and the tiels are the millenial parents with both involved in everything.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
The gccs are the 1950's parents where dad does the minimum and the tiels are the millenial parents with both involved in everything.
:laughin:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Glad I didn't have a drink, or I'd have spat it out! You could get Scott (er, Scottie?) a DNA test just to be sure?

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My GCC breeders are always in the box together when there are eggs. When I take a peek inside, the male is always sitting right next to her. I'm not sure if he's actually incubating the eggs, but he feeds her and is very protective.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Fairly certain none of my males helped incubate. I had a shelf just inside the entrance hole where the male would sit but I'm sure at night they sat next to the hen while she was on eggs. There was a ladder next to the shelf leading down to the bottom for them to climb down inside the box. If another egg appears in the next day I would separate the two and leave Scott ( Scottie) in the cage with the dummy eggs. If another egg appears then you'll have you answer on the gender of "Scott". :)