• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do I need to have beak and nails trimmed?

Niko11

Moving in
Real Name
Nick Parais
403C3D5F-D155-428E-B8C6-EF6609385958.jpeg 4143A614-80B0-4C83-A001-199274841E00.jpeg 83225855-07DA-48CD-976B-08386DC86A62.jpeg 66C0EC01-20F4-4E8E-8F3A-C280F7B42915.jpeg Happy Monday everyone. I’m a little paranoid, LOL. Can I get some opinions on if my Skittles (sun conure) needs a SPA appointment. Do his talons and beak look like they are over grown. He is a wood biter and does occasionally play with the trimming perch I have in his cage. But not sure. Can I please get some other eyes to look at him? I’ll try to post some pictures but he isn’t cooperating. Thanks again!

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I'm not good when it comes to knowing when a beak needs done, but a way you can tell with nails is if they're on a flat surface and the nails make their toes lift up, then they need a trim :)

Niko11

Moving in
Real Name
Nick Parais
Thank you. If anyone else has an opinion about his beak, I would really appreciate it. Thanks again for all the help.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I take my crew to the vet every 3 months for a nail trim, weigh in, and check up. The vet is awesome and advises anything else they may need. This way I know they're all in good shape!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yep. Skittles needs both his beak and his nails trimmed.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Perhaps a little bit on his beak, he can close it?
Nails can have a trim to but it's not that bad.
Visit your avian vet and let them decide.

Has his beak always been so long?
And how long did you have him?
If he can close it, eat normally and it doesn't get longer I would have waited with a trim if everything else seems normal with it.
But like I said, let your vet decide that.

Sometimes I think that they trim their beak to often, and some parrots normally have longer and shorter beak, they are individuals, just like us.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would personally have both done :) The thinner that beak tip gets the more likely it is to snap, and it will very likely have blood supply and be sore for a few days at minimum. Happened with my Hahns!

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Hard to tell but the beak does look a little long, be better if you had a shot of his mouth closed and at a sand angle. Nails dont look too bad, how do they look when they are on a flat surface? are an of his pads up in the air? But honestly if you are going to do one, you might as well do a little bit to the other and get it over with. Are you doing it yourself? If you are having a professional do it then have them do both, it would take not even an extra minute. Less stress than a bird to be toweled again if its gonna be just gonna be return visit a few weeks or a month later.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Yes, those nails need trimming. I can see that they would lift his toes up off of a flat surface.