• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do i feed my chicken grit?

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
Hi there! Should i feed my chicken grit? Would it be ok for her digestive system?
Thanx for any advice!

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'm not sure but would love to see pics of your chicken! How did you get so many new birds all at once? Just curious:)

Sky&Sunshine

Jogging around the block
I'm not sure but would love to see pics of your chicken! How did you get so many new birds all at once? Just curious:)
ive had my chicken for a few years. i got the budgies for my birthday last year. i rescued zephyr from our cat. someone offered me the cockatiel and snowdrop for free. and then i bought cloud and breeze yesterday. yeah i have gotten a lot of birds quite suddenly. i suppose its just the way it worked out... :)

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
For chicks, I usually just set out a dish of sand and tiny gravel bits gathered from a clean place in the yard (not the driveway). If she has access to the outdoors, she may be able to find sufficient grit on her own. Once she starts laying, she will need some calcium oystershell grit. One little hen won't go through much at all. You can offer crushed eggshells as an alternative.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
For chicks, I usually just set out a dish of sand and tiny gravel bits gathered from a clean place in the yard (not the driveway). If she has access to the outdoors, she may be able to find sufficient grit on her own. Once she starts laying, she will need some calcium oystershell grit. One little hen won't go through much at all. You can offer crushed eggshells as an alternative.
Tis true, chickens will only eat what they need in grit, the oyster shell grit is great, as are the boiled sterilized crushed egg shells, but do be careful with that, some hens will eat they're own eggs when offered this.

hellen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
hellen
yes apparently they do need grit, there are some very informative websites that will tell you all you need to know :)