• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do(es) your bird(s) enjoy flying?

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Bella does not. She stays put and only flies when I refuse to get her off of her cage or when she wants something I am eating. I did try to get her to fly for exercise but after a few short flights, she flew back to her cage and was done. She wasn't short of breath, she just didn't want to do it. She is a good weight, has developed muscles, and does other things for exercise (she is definitely not a perch potato) but she just doesn't want to fly. What about your birds?

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Mine all fly but not all fly just for exercise. It is a mode of transport to get from one place to another. Incidentally, flight takes more energy so perhaps it is somewhat instinctual to walk or climb if you can.

When I have baby caiques they seem to fly more for the joy of flying and to burn off some energy. The adults seem to use it more as a mode of transpo.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Chirp loves flying. He likes to fly in circles and yell a whole bunch. if he's in his cage, he'll do some wing flipping followed by rapid flapping. When I open his cage, once he realizes he can come out he zips right outta there.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Yes, Kobe, Ollie and Bobbie love flying. The elderly Chico can't as he has arthritis and chewed wings. Bobbie couldn't fly when she first came to live with us - now that she can she always lets out a squeal of excitement when she takes off. Kobe flies for the heck of it - he does circuits of the house. Ollie flies to go places - he seems to have lots of places to go! :laugh:

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Farlie is just learning what his wings will do. I'm not sure he does or doesn't like it. He seems to use the ability to get from point A to point B.
My rooms and whole apartment are very small so there really isn't enough room to 'let it fly' as it were.
I really don't want him on the floor anyway cuz the bug man has sprayed this apartment for the past 12 years or so every month.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Mine all fly but not all fly just for exercise. It is a mode of transport to get from one place to another. Incidentally, flight takes more energy so perhaps it is somewhat instinctual to walk or climb if you can.

When I have baby caiques they seem to fly more for the joy of flying and to burn off some energy. The adults seem to use it more as a mode of transpo.

Bella does not. She stays put and only flies when I refuse to get her off of her cage or when she wants something I am eating. I did try to get her to fly for exercise but after a few short flights, she flew back to her cage and was done. She wasn't short of breath, she just didn't want to do it. She is a good weight, has developed muscles, and does other things for exercise (she is definitely not a perch potato) but she just doesn't want to fly. What about your birds?
All mine do ( grey, senegal, budgie) except for my Blue front amazon. She injured her wing somehow at age 1-4 from previous owner. According to vet it never healed the right way and possible pinched nerve or damaged nerve. She will never be able to fly. It has to be frustrating for her. Poor baby, but she goes every where with me.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have read other member say their birds don´t fly, for no reason.

Mine love it.
5 of my birds are in flight cages and use flight as mode of transport 90% of the time in their cages. When I open their doors in the morning, they all whip on out. Apart from Aldora, she takes her sweet time. Her flight is not as good as my birds, she flutters a little more and doesn´t fly as much. Maybe she was clipped when she was younger, or maybe she is older, I have no idea.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
My parrotlets love flying. I also use a large enough cage where they need to fly to get to some things. They normally prefer flying to get around. They can descend at 90 degrees. Really impressive little acrobats. They know the layout of the main house and fly to other rooms. The best part about their flight is they can take cover when they are scared or worried, this helps them be very confident little guys. They also love hanging upside down bouncing on their toys and will let go and fly off. It seems like a fun game!

:cool8:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi at 1 seems to really like to fly. She definitely uses it as a method of getting here to there, but she sometimes stretches her neck up, like she has an idea, and off she goes. She circles me and her play gym and lands the same place she started. Sometimes she does this over and over, maybe 5 times. So it seems she is doing it for exercise and the love of flying. But like most Linnies, she doesn't fly in her cage, just beak-foot-foot all around, with an occasional hop from the perch to the boing.

simon777

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Iliel
Simon does love to fly. I'm always telling him how wonderful he I at flying. But when Bruce visits Simon gets carried everywhere by Bruce. It seems to be that he will be lazy and be carried when the opportunity presents itself. Normally I only carry Simon from his house in the morning to his lounge perch for his morning poo, he knows I want to inspect it, and I carry him to his house at bedtime giving him nighty-night kisses along the way. During the day Simon flies to and from his house, around just for fun, up or down to his food area, and generally most places he wants to go to. Although sometimes he does run around on the floor and play with things on the floor of his playroom. I do love to see and hear those wonderful wings at work.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Elvis loves, loves to fly! And he swoops and turns and picks up things and carries them off. LOL. I have written before how I wish I could find a place where he had more space to fly. My tiel Sunny though really didn't fly that much. He much preferred walking. Which in the wild, cockatiels spend a lot of time on the ground. So that kind of made sense. Once in a great while he'd take a joy flight so to speak but usually it was only if he was startled or needed to get somewhere he couldn't walk to. Sunny was also missing the primary flight feathers on his one wing. So even though he still could fly maybe it was harder for him? And Bella is a Princess. Of course she's not going to do something so menial as flying when she should be carried, right? :D

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
My budgies will sometimes fly in pairs--a quick turn around the room a few times a day. Besides that, just for transport. Flying expends a lot of energy. I would say, as long as she gets lots of out-of-cage time and is given the opportunity to fly, I wouldn't be concerned.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jingo and Koopa LOVED to fly. They did it often together.

Bobber would fly as a reaction or to follow Jingo.

Gizmo only flew to follow me out of a room.

Ripley does not fly for pleasure either lol. He barely flies at all. He does when spooked though.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
The tiels fly only when they need to get somewhere in a hurry. Buddy can fly- as we let her wings regrow after she came to us from the sanctuary she was at- but she also prefers to walk (and run) to where ever she wants to go.

The budgies are still mostly cage birds, although they are permitted out of the cage during their waking hours. When they do start to fly, they seem to enjoy the activity.They loop, dive, and swoop all around...it's really neat to watch them. :)

Milton is clipped...when he flew, it would cause him great pain....due to an old injury to his wing that was not tended to at the time.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Gus the quaker zooms around the room constantly, following me as I go about my day and trying to land on my head no matter how much I discourage it (I wouldn't mind, except that he thinks all hair is meant to be plucked).

My new TAG, Boo, on the other hand, has all her feathers and appears to have a full range of movement in her wings, with no sign of discomfort when spreading them, but in the week I've had her, I've only seen her "fly" twice, once when she was spooked and once when she tried to climb a narrow shelf and slipped off. Both times she didn't so much "fly" as "break her fall in the direction she happened to be facing."

I don't think she's physically capable of gaining altitude, nor does she appear to have even minimal skill at turning or braking. She's 11 and I don't know anything about her background beyond the past six months or so, but I suspect that due to clipping, confinement, or a combination of both over the years, she never learned how to fly. She occasionally spreads her wings for balance, but that's about it, and she's afraid even to jump from one perch to another. If she can't reach it with her beak, she gives up.

I've begun encouraging her to flap, to slowly start building up some muscle, and I plan to teach her to fly if birdly possible, but I fear it's going to be a long road.

Last edited:

harpersmom

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ania
Doesn’t every bird enjoy flying? :wacky:

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Emery loves flying. Unfortunately, she was clipped shortly before I adopted her because her previous owner became worried she would get out at their home and fly away. When I brought her home, she had no confidence to fly very short distances, or even hop at that point. As her new flight feathers came in, she got braver and braver about flying. Now she flies all over the place now, and yet, she still has so much energy! :)