• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

do eclectus (in general) enjoy foot toys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

applejack

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lindsay
(I know generalizations aren't always useful!)

From researching the species and observing my eclectus, I've noticed they do not seem to use their feet in the way other parrots do; at least as far as eating is concerned, they don't tend to manipulate their food with their feet like a cockatoo or a macaw would (mine, at least, does not, and in the book I purchased, the author says the same). Does this trend influence an eclectus' interest in foot toys? Do they (in general) not bother with foot toys? Or do any of you have eclectus that enjoy them? We're starting to buy some toys in anticipation of our boy's homecoming, and I don't want to get him something he can't enjoy.

What toys do your eclectus prefer?

Thanks so much!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I've had two ekkies in my life and the male liked foot toys and held his food a lot to eat while Ruby prefers not to use her feet to hold things if she can get away with it. :)

artgeek09

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Jessica
Dante doesn't use his feet very much at all when he's eating/playing; its all beak. His favorite toys are things that can be shredded, especially vine/munch balls and vine wreaths.

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Skittles does not use his feet to eat or hold things at all. He prefers to have toys he can carry in his beak, or push into his dish so he can manipulate them from there. He likes he toys hung so he can shred them

mrstweet

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Amanda
YES! These are nearly the only toys Monty boy will play with. He has a toy box on top of his cage with wiffle balls, foot toys, pine blocks, shoes, etc. that he loves to dump over the edge for me to pick up. :)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
It seems to be an odd quirk with most Ekkies...they tend not to want to use their feet although they will if pushed to do so...like you refuse to hold onto the coveted treat that you just gave them and they have no where to put it! LOL! I found this to be true with my guys where food is concerned and with foot toys. They won't play with them per se, but put them in a basket and they love to toss them out! Put them back and they'll toss them out again...they could play that game all day long!:dancing:

Status
Not open for further replies.