• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do Birds Know What They are Saying?

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
When I adopted my then-6-year-old CAG in 2009, she arrived in a cage that was completely covered in a blanket. I lifted up a corner to look, and she was hanging on the bars looking at me.

“Parrot,” she said with a lilting tone as if to announce/identify herself.

I’ve never heard her repeat that word again in all the years I’ve had her.

My parents were over one time and fighting. She listened to them intently and quietly said, “It’s OK.” They immediately stopped fighting.

A few weeks ago I went downstairs in the middle of the night and realized that I had left a light on. I foolishly turned it off in the darkened house, spooking my CAG, who jumped off her high perch and crashed on the bottom of her 70-inch-tall cage.

I rushed over the check on her.

“IT’S OK,” she loudly proclaimed after she had climbed back up to her sleeping perch.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Your poor sweet grey. I'm glad she was okay. :hug8:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Parrots talking ability is amazing. M&M do not talk at all.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
100% they do.

One time years ago, a crow flew by the window and startled Duckie. I asked her, "You scared?", and she IMMEDIATELY repeated it back to me for the first time ever and said "Scared, scared."

Now, when theres a strange noise in the house, or something outside, she says "M scared, m scared!" (The "m" sounds sort of like she's trying to say "I'm". Don't know where she got that, that may just be a coincidence)

Just yesterday there was a repair man in the house, so I put Duckie in her cage. She saw him, and hung from the side saying "M scared, m scared!" Only at times when she's truly scared does she say it, and for sure knows what it means.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Elvis doesn't have a huge vocabulary. And often he talks just to talk. But when he's getting tired he says "good night Elvis". And when I cover him he says 'good night Elvis' again. And when he sees someone, he does say "hi Elvis" or "hello". And when he knows, he's doing something he shouldn't and has been caught doing it, he'll put his face next to mine and say "I love Elvis" and give kisses. The little suck up. :rolleyes: So, they're basic things but I think he understands. (And he adds 'Elvis' to everything. LOL.)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I tend to believe so.

I watch Milton connect words to objects all the time. The most surprising thing is when he uses words in context with concepts or emotions...

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
I am going to say YES! The reason why I know is the prime example here of Hoosier. He knows his name. He knows when I call him, he will answer me back and come from wherever he is if he's out of sight. ( example on the floor on the other side of the bed) he will peek out. :scared5:

Kazoo also knows his name. He knows my name. He will come when called. He also will call me by my name when I come home. In the door he doesn't even see me and he is calling for me by my name. He also knows who Hoosier is and calls him too. He will say "Come on Hoosier" and Hoosier in another room will fly to see his buddy.

They are amazing, and they know. They all know NO when they are bad too. :backout:

RosieR

Meeting neighbors
I believe that they do know what they're saying. Sometimes my Budgie just seems to be rattling off phrases because he enjoys the sound of his own voice, and other times it very much seems that he knows what he is saying. He adores my cats (he is always caged around them) and when he sees them he runs over to his loudest toy and shakes it while saying "COME 'ERE! COME 'ERE!" then he does his happy Budgie dance when they do and blows them tons of kisses. Last night when he was being a total clown he bit my wife on the cheek (not hard) then laughed very dramatically about it. She said "Hey!" and he went over to her lips and said "I love you." in the sweetest tone. When he first met our new kitten he loudly proclaimed "Hey Mister, whatcha doing!" when he first approached his cage. Perhaps this is all by chance but it seems to me as if he is choosing to say specific phrases at particular times.

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
Once I saw a big slug on the outside of the glass door my tiel was next to and after I commented on it in disgust Bogie said loudly uh ooooh for the first time. Also if I wanted him to talk for someone I could hold up my cat (whom he was not afraid of) and he would always ask " wha cha Doin , huh " even though he had lots of other words he could've picked. By the way he was never out of cage with cat out, and the three legged cat could not jump as high as his cage. Today,no cats allowed

Last edited:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I believe that they do know what they're saying. Sometimes my Budgie just seems to be rattling off phrases because he enjoys the sound of his own voice, and other times it very much seems that he knows what he is saying. He adores my cats (he is always caged around them) and when he sees them he runs over to his loudest toy and shakes it while saying "COME 'ERE! COME 'ERE!" then he does his happy Budgie dance when they do and blows them tons of kisses. Last night when he was being a total clown he bit my wife on the cheek (not hard) then laughed very dramatically about it. She said "Hey!" and he went over to her lips and said "I love you." in the sweetest tone. When he first met our new kitten he loudly proclaimed "Hey Mister, whatcha doing!" when he first approached his cage. Perhaps this is all by chance but it seems to me as if he is choosing to say specific phrases at particular times.
OMG how cute he sounds!:faint:

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I know my macaws know what they are saying.
Just today I kept hearing, "Reb-it; Reb-it." I was thinking, "you aren't a frog." Then I realized Rhemo was saying, "rub-it; rub-it."
When I go to see him in the morning I say, "if you want me to 'rub it', put your head here."
Sometimes I am just slow.
The other day Jeannie said - as I was leaving the room. Gottagotowork. (Got to go to work.)
Duh!!