• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do birds have facial expressions?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Leih

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I feel like my birds have a constant expression of "what is wrong with you, crazy human??" My lovebird has the eyerings though and I feel like I can read more expression on her. Mainly sass!

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz

"If I stay very still and shut my eyes maybe you won't see me and I don't have to go to bed...." (clues to pretence... two feet on the perch and eyes slightly open)

"OMG this is such fun!!!"

"Yikes, what was that?"

"This is my serious face. I'm relaxed, I trust you... when are you going to take this hat off my head?"

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

"If I stay very still and shut my eyes maybe you won't see me and I don't have to go to bed...." (clues to pretence... two feet on the perch and eyes slightly open)

"Yikes, what was that?"

"This is my serious face. I'm relaxed, I trust you... when are you going to take this hat off my head?"

The crown!!! :omg: so dang sweet!!!!

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I feel like my birds have a constant expression of "what is wrong with you, crazy human??" My lovebird has the eyerings though and I feel like I can read more expression on her. Mainly sass!
:rofl:

"Yikes, what was that?"

Yay! I absolutely love those! :loveshower:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
OK I'm just joking!!! :laugh:

I think he's smiling in my avatar.

She is... Or wondering about having pic taken and secretly smiled.

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Loki- Pout face aka “I’m not ready to go back in Mom!”

Jojo- Jealousy/Anger “Are you seriously taking a pic of HIM when I’m RIGHT HERE!?”

Both -Playful aka “We're looking for crap to get into”

Attachments

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Loki- Pout face aka “I’m not ready to go back in Mom!”

Jojo- Jealousy/Anger “Are you seriously taking a pic of HIM when I’m RIGHT HERE!?”

Both -Playful aka “We're looking for crap to get into”
They are so precious! :xflove:
And your captions seemed to fit perfectly :dance5:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
When you get familiar with a bird, you learn the postures and subtle cues they have. I thought I was pretty good at reading them, but my other half surprised me one day. We were both looking over at Rupert, and suddenly he says, "I can see those cogs turning. You are up to NO good." :lol: He's very keenly aware of Sherbie, too. "She wants something to chew." Or if she flies to his shoulder, he'll say, "I'm pretty sure she wants a bath."

It takes some practice, but anyone can learn if they're willing and spend enough time watching. :)

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
Emery holds her beak open sometimes when she's happy, like in the pic below. It's mostly her eyes though and her crest that show her expression the most. Her pretty eyes are so expressive. I can tell what she's feeling pretty easily regardless though, thankfully. Her body language is very clear too, if you know what to look for. Those eyes though...She's just so precious. :heart: IMG_20190606_192137_965-picsay.jpg

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I used to make a "voice off" when Twitter was pretending not doing something he was not allowed to. You could see it so well, how he pretended to be his innocent self, and I stressed it with the voice off. My son nearly peed on himself because he was laughing so hard!