1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do birds have facial expressions?

Discussion in 'Bird Boulevard' started by CrazyBirdChick, 8/15/19 at 5:14 PM.

1. CrazyBirdChick

CrazyBirdChick Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Diane
    Today I was just thinking to myself that one of the cutest things about birds is that their faces don't change very much.

They would certainly never need botox or facelifts. They even age so gracefully that most 60-80 year old parrots still look young.

But then I thought a little deeper into it and came to the conclusion that even though their faces don't change that much I'm still able to read Blu pretty well just from his face. So they have to have some sort of micro expressions or something?

I know macaws blush and also some birds get fluffy cheeks but I'm not referring to that as facial expressions. I'm just referring to the look in their eyes. Or the way their beak sits, I guess.

It got me curious to start Googling and I found this Exploration of whether or not birds have facial expressions

Does your bird have facial expressions? Pictures of examples of moods would also be fun, if you feel like posting some.

Last edited: 8/15/19 at 5:18 PM
    Leih, Rain Bow, sunnysmom and 6 others like this.
  2. Zara

Zara Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Zara
    I think the eyes are the main thing used to read our birds expressions (in a face only sense) :)

Leih, Rain Bow, faislaq and 4 others like this.
  3. CrazyBirdChick

CrazyBirdChick Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Diane
    Yes! It's gotta be the eyes! Is that really all that it is?

Rain Bow, faislaq and JoJo&Loki like this.
  4. Zara

Zara Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Zara
    There´s a lot to a birds ¨expression¨ but they are not like you or I.

They have their eyes, they have their feathers that lay flat or ruffle slightly, or ruffle a lot. Then their crest. Also the feathers on their body, their stance...

I feel like the bird equivalent of a facial expression is their whole expression ie whole body, not just face.

Rain Bow, faislaq, Gribouille and 6 others like this.
  5. CrazyBirdChick

Diane
    Yeah, that totally makes sense! Thanks Zara!

Rain Bow and faislaq like this.
  6. KiwiandLemony

KiwiandLemony Meeting neighbors

As much as I’m aware it’s physically impossible for them to move their faces into expressions, they don’t have facial muscles. When I found that out I was taken by shock, how am I able to read them without expressions? (This was before I got birds but my first few days researching) I think that @Zara said it perfectly-

Rain Bow, faislaq and CrazyBirdChick like this.
  7. CrazyBirdChick

Diane
    Wow! They don't have facial muscles? That's so interesting and I can't believe I never really realized that! I guess that would explain why they'd never need botox or a facelift. (Not that anyone needs those things but I hope you all get what I mean) They're not like human who scowl too much or raise their eyebrows too much, and since they don't have facial muscles the muscles can't sag with age. This explains alot!

Rain Bow, faislaq and JoJo&Loki like this.
  8. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    This is happy
    65D50798-228D-4935-A24E-80D9C362F43E.jpeg

This is mad
    FA9B9CBB-A347-4A25-B0C9-F302C0E200EE.jpeg

The expression seems clear to me. :D

Peachfaced, Leih, Rain Bow and 19 others like this.
  9. CrazyBirdChick

Diane
    :highfive:

Even the mad looks adorable! Though I wouldn't get too close :joyful:

But that's mostly cheek fluff, a crest and a beak. So yeah, I think Zara was right that the only real expression is the whole bird and the eyes.

Rain Bow, faislaq, JoJo&Loki and 2 others like this.
  10. umbrella

umbrella Sprinting down the street

Sam Chan
    Rain Bow, faislaq, JoJo&Loki and 3 others like this.
  11. CrazyBirdChick

Diane
  12. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John

Yup. It's all in the eyes. Windows to the soul. Dead giveaway. :D

13. CrazyBirdChick

Diane
    :wink2:

It's so true! :cool4:

Rain Bow, faislaq and Hawk12237 like this.
  14. AkasyaEllric

AkasyaEllric Sprinting down the street

Morgan
    I think with any pets you have, since most animals don't show emotion like us anyways, you end up with a link of sorts. I'm sure it's just learning to read their body language but, at least for me, I can actually "feel" how they are the majority of the time, especially the ones I'm really close to.

Rain Bow, Mizzely and CrazyBirdChick like this.
  15. ZoeyFredrik

ZoeyFredrik Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Veteran

Nik
    I always say to my IRN, "Joey, I can see what your thinking". Between her eyes and feathers on her head I can just look at her and know what it's going on in that little head. Most of the time it's mischief. :sneaky:

16. CrazyBirdChick

Diane
    I can totally relate to that. I've been feeling how animals feel since I was a kid.

What's so fascinating to me is that, in the article I linked up in the first post, it says that - "horses have17 distinct facial expressions, humans can make 27 discrete movements, chimpanzees 13, cats 21, and dogs 16" (side note- I never realized cats have more facial expressions than dogs) So atleast with those animals people who can't 'feel' what the animal is thinking atleast they will most likely have more of a clue as to what the animal is thinking by reading facial expressions, since most humans are naturally adept at reading facial expressions.

I just thought about more animals with no facial expressions- fish, lizards, dinosaurs... Are there any I'm missing? Lizards and dinosaurs are related to birds so that's also interesting.

I can so relate to this too! As I'm sure most of us probably can :)

Peachfaced, Rain Bow and AkasyaEllric like this.
  17. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Rollerblading along the road Moderator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Roz
    Of course birds have facial expressions! :lolsign: Ollie smiles quite a lot. :D

18. CrazyBirdChick

Diane
    Awww, can you find a pic of that? I believe you, ofcourse! Just trying to find a reason to get you to post more pics of your adorable birds! ;)

I thought of hys and their smile when I started this thread but do they ever look like they're not smiling?

Rain Bow and AkasyaEllric like this.
  19. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting! Vendor POSTAHOLIC

Shawna
    It's definitely a subtle thing, but I agree its eyes plus feather positioning and posture. Stuff that looks minute to us screams volumes to other birds!

20. CrazyBirdChick

Diane
    I wish I could speak subtle bird to Blu sometimes :lol:

Sorry for all my rambling tonight and for some of my posts not being worded that well. I am spewing my thoughts as they come :wacky:

Rain Bow, AkasyaEllric and Mizzely like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)