1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do all Macaws do this?

Discussion in 'Macaw Motorway' started by Shezbug, 7/14/19.

1. Shezbug

Shezbug ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW! Moderator Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

Sometimes Burt makes this really loud clicking noise with his beak over and over. It sounds pretty much the same as when he is working on cracking a macadamia nut.
    The loud cracks/clicks change to the odd quieter pop type of sound sometimes too but it’s mostly loud cracking/clicking sounds.
    He makes these sounds as often as he beak grinds and also sometimes does both in the same chilling out session.
    Is this normal?
    Do other macaws do this too?

faislaq, Eloy and BeanieofJustice like this.
  2. Yoshi&Raphi

Yoshi&Raphi Sprinting down the street

Raphi
    That sounds so cute!

faislaq, Eloy and Shezbug like this.
  3. Shezbug

Shezbug ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW! Moderator Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting!

He hums sometimes too and even though he doesn’t have the most pleasant humming voice, I just love listening to him. Sometimes he hums and waits for me to hum a little then he has a turn and we repeat the turn taking usually till he dozes off :heart:
    I’m just really curious about the LOUD clicking though lol.

faislaq, Eloy, Peachfaced and 2 others like this.
  4. Macawnutz

Macawnutz Seriously Nutz! Super Administrator AA Advertising Exec Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sarah
    Yes, not all macaws snap their beak but some do.

While most people think of beak grinding as a content sleepy sound it actually has a purpose. Parrots beaks are constantly growing and beak grinding is a means to file the inside. The inside being the most important part because that needs to function for eating.

Having Burt from a baby I'm sure you have been curious enough to inspect the inside of his mouth. Inside the upper beak, that ridge is what he is clicking against. He is dragging his lower beak down that ridge to make it smooth. Sometimes snap/click sounds can also be heard when they file the bottom beak side to side.... especially if there is a chip or slight overgrowth. :)

5. BeanieofJustice

BeanieofJustice Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Steph
    Sam does the same thing actually. I kinda wondered about it myself.

faislaq, Shezbug and Macawnutz like this.
  6. Macawnutz

Macawnutz Seriously Nutz! Super Administrator AA Advertising Exec Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sarah
    Cockatoo beaks have smaller ridges but here ya go. ;)

7. cassiesdad

cassiesdad Ripping up the road Weather Authority Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Bob Weisman
    ..the vet checked Milton that way the other day at his physical...;)

faislaq, Dona, Peachfaced and 2 others like this.
  8. Macawnutz

Sarah

Better then checking the undercarriage. ;)

metalstitcher, faislaq, Dona and 3 others like this.
  9. Mockinbirdiva

Mockinbirdiva Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Andrea
    Omgawd.... The tongue!!!!! I love the tongue!!!!

10. Dartman

Dartman Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Terry
    Coco sure trusts and loves you to pretty much happily allow that. he's like whatever mom, can I feel your fingers while you play:xflove:

If I ever tried that with lurch I'd probably would had my fingers shortened quite a bit and I don't know what Dobby would do but he does like beaking and hanging onto a finger while he gets scritches. Pionus of course have the ridges inside too and happily grind their beaks, even Beeper the tiny house finch we raised did it... SKRITCH SKRITCH SKRITCH.

Last edited: 7/14/19
  11. Shezbug

Lol, I’m so glad you don’t think it’s weird that I would be snooping inside Burt’s beak and just kind of expected it @Macawnutz! I truly am fascinated by the inside of Burt’s beak. :D
    Thanks for the conformation that it’s nothing to worry about.

12. Macawnutz

Sarah

Oh no... Coco could care less what I do to him. ;) As long as I'm touching him he is happy. I was going to do a macaw but my choices were Maui, Sam, Sakie or Volar.... nope!

I love their beaks and mouths! I'm always sticking my fingers in there. ;)

faislaq, Dona, Shezbug and 2 others like this.
  13. Peachfaced

Peachfaced Biking along the boulevard JOLLY-PATROLLY Super Moderator Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor

Sadie
    Coco seems to be enjoying that. :lol: Must be like you picking a certain birdie's nose.

faislaq, Shezbug and Macawnutz like this.
  14. HolliDaze

HolliDaze Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award

Machelle
    Is this similar to the breathy beak clicking sound Dexter makes? Puffin makes it too when she's on me. He'll make sounds sorta similar to cockatiel hissing, but over and over, like an exhale, all while clicking his beak.

Now I've got to get it on video to prove I'm not crazy.

faislaq and Shezbug like this.
  15. Macawnutz

Sarah

I'm really hands on. ;) Can't keep my hands to myself with them.

Nothing about this sound has anything to do with breathing or produced sound. I'd have to see yours.

faislaq, Dona, Shezbug and 3 others like this.
  16. Dona

Dona Rollerblading along the road

Dona
    OMG Sarah, that was awesome. I love your relationship with Coco. Just wonderful.

Sounds like Burt clicking is perfectly normal!

17. Yoshi&Raphi

Yoshi&Raphi Sprinting down the street

Raphi
    This is all so fascinating! I love macaws so much!

18. Sarah13

Sarah13 Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Sarah
    Not all do it but some can of course. None of mine happen to do this, just the general content and maintenance check of beak grinding.
    The snap is just him rubbing and making that snap from the lower mandible striking/sliding over the ridge inside the upper mandible.
    Enjoy...if the sound doesn't bother you. You can put it on cue and make a cute trick out of it if you like, haha.

19. Shezbug

The thought of putting it on cue did not even occur to me.
    I do like the sound.....there is actually not one sound he makes that I do not enjoy hearing, even the louder and supposedly more annoying ones (the sounds that everyone else finds awful or too loud) I like (when they are not directed into my ear canal!). He does not scream an awful lot but does like to make sure his lungs can belt out a good sound every now and then......he usually screams when he hears me pull into the driveway if I have the music fairly loud in the car, first it is MUM he yells then if I take too long to respond verbally or for him to see me through the window he will do the typical macaw scream. Hehehe I have to be very aware of this behavior and prepared to respond fast (the neighbors must think I am crazy talking to myself in the driveway :D) when I get home at some of the ungodly hours I arrive home. He always waits till I turn the car off and he hears the car door opening and closing I am told.

20. faislaq

faislaq I have a macaw and don't post enough photos Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award SUPER HERO

Karen
    :swoon: So precious! My first thought was somebirdy was expecting treats.

I always thought of Puffin's clicking as nervousness or excitement. It reminds me of a cartoon character's teeth chattering when they're cold? But I wouldn't consider it breathy.

Or maybe she has a softer clicking sound that maybe I'm just so used to that I don't notice? :chin:

Peachfaced, Shezbug and Mockinbirdiva like this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)