• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do all B&G's have black spots?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you for the advice and the compliment @Macawnutz :)
I try my hardest to always pay attention to his wishes and warnings (I am sure i have probably missed a few of them though) and as soon as he grumbles or puts his little foot up I back off and let him know it is ok and that I have listened. He always seems to feel/look ashamed or bad about telling me what for (usually a horrible noise he makes) and usually straight after I oblige and move back away he will let me do what he just grumped at me for by pretty much offering it up while I am still backed off.
When he does let me push past his comfort zone I praise like a crazy person and so far it has worked well for us. He was worried about being in confined spaces with people, like if you were too close to the wall with him or if you had your arms either side of him, we worked on that and now I can put him under my arm like a football or wrap him up and hold him firmly against me without him stressing out. He even decided it would be great fun to play games with me under the blankets and I can drop them on him so he has to push his way around under them to find his way out, he really loves this game and gets a little over excited sometimes.
I try to get him to want to do what I am asking by making it fun for him and rewarding if he does it or tries to, I have never been good at even ordering my dog around......I ask all the animals to work with me not for me and I think this is working really great with Burt......maybe not so well with the old dog lol.
I am really so pleased he lets me do so much with him already as I thought it would take much longer. He was so minimally handled before I got him as he was going to be going into an aviary and the breeder does not like to imprint on his baby birds any more than he feels he does by just checking them over and feeding them.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Macaws love to please and BG are very forgiving. :D Babies are pretty easy and goodness.... fall in love with him now as he will test you to no end in a few years. :arghh:

He will teach you as much as you teach him. :laugh:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Macaws love to please and BG are very forgiving. :D Babies are pretty easy and goodness.... fall in love with him now as he will test you to no end in a few years. :arghh:

He will teach you as much as you teach him. :laugh:
I do not know if I could even love him any more than I already do........just waiting for the tests to start to remind me of how crazy I really am or will be :rofl:

I did read up on all of the horrible things I am likely to encounter having a baby macaw grow up and I still went ahead and picked him up....baby and all :hehe: I am sure he will remind me of what sanity is every day for a very long time to come. Sanity is that thing that people who do not get a baby bird (or a macaw for that matter) have.:lol:

As for the teaching I think to be honest he teaches me something about myself or him each and every day. As long as I am still learning I am a happy camper :) I think if people listen animals can be the best teachers for many of life's lessons.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I do not know if I could even love him any more than I already do........just waiting for the tests to start to remind me of how crazy I really am or will be :rofl:

I did read up on all of the horrible things I am likely to encounter having a baby macaw grow up and I still went ahead and picked him up....baby and all :hehe: I am sure he will remind me of what sanity is every day for a very long time to come. Sanity is that thing that people who do not get a baby bird (or a macaw for that matter) have.:lol:

As for the teaching I think to be honest he teaches me something about myself or him each and every day. As long as I am still learning I am a happy camper :) I think if people listen animals can be the best teachers for many of life's lessons.

I have worked with parrots for over 20 years. I swear I felt I knew what it would be like to have them in my home. Holy caca! Korbel and Maui were like 2 toddlers drinking red bull with can openers on their faces! There was a time where I could not figure out why or how other people would want to raise young macaws.

I will say... just when you think you can't handle it anymore, they will change the game. :laugh: I also say if I don't learn something everyday... I'm not paying attention. :D

Is Burt flying? :shy:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt loves to fly and is even trying to put himself in situations where he has to fly backwards a bit before landing......it scares the crap out of me every time he does it:lol:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Burt loves to fly and is even trying to put himself in situations where he has to fly backwards a bit before landing......it scares the crap out of me every time he does it:lol:

Oh yah. Be ready for toddler macaw chaos.
The better you raise them the more trouble they are. ;)

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
He is getting cheekier every day and some times there are little tantrums (which always make me smirk) and some times he is a complete clown or sooky baby when he does not get his own way. He can be quite pushy at times but he will reason with me too, after telling me off. :rofl: He really lets me know what he is happy with or not happy with.
I tell him all the time he is going to be a nightmare bird to me when he grows up and every time I tell him that he makes the same sound which is pretty much like a smarty pants hummed yep. I am pretty sure he knows exactly what I mean :hehe: