• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

diy shredding toy !!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I have a feeling tissue paper is not safe for our birds, I’m not certain why so I’ll tag @Mizzely to correct or confirm.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't use tissue paper because it makes me nervous when wet; chewing on it could cause it to get caught in the crop, for example. I know @Macawnutz has tasted it and it tastes chemically so that's another factor, though I haven't proven it myself :p

Some places say it is fine but it is not one I personally comfortable with at this time.

Coffee filters are cheap and you can dye them easily, and they make a fun shredder, too!

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I agree, I really prefer coffee filters for that purpose. They're a bit stronger than tissue paper, too. Sherbie always got excited when she saw the coffee filters come out. :rofl:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I have never been comfortable letting Burt have tissue paper - most of it does smell horribly funny- I do not think they use food dye for coloring it either.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Put your tongue on it and you will not want to give it to your bird. ;) It has a very chemical taste.
I'm gonna take your word for it, it smells horrid so I am not sure I want to feel it with my tongue or taste it lol.

dori

Meeting neighbors
Put your tongue on it and you will not want to give it to your bird. ;) It has a very chemical taste.
thanks for the advice !! but i put my tongue on it and it tasted like nothing? so im not sure (maybe its not tissue paper ?

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
also if you have a paper shredder that does strips instead of confetti, you could shred paper, and tie the strips together in the middle, maybe hang a bell in it before you tie it, and hang in the cage as well. Kind of like making a pompom...not sure about using different colored paper though, someone else might have some knowledge on whether that would be safe but that could add color to the toy as well....great idea though!