• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DIY PVC Climbing Stand - Plans

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
So I've been really wanting to create a PVC pipe climbing stand for my birds for a little while now. I wasn't able to get started as soon as I would have liked, but I'm finally starting now. Yesterday we ran by Home Depot after church and picked up a PVC pipe cutter. Not that exciting; I would have liked to have walked out of there with all the pipe I've been needing, but first I need to plan! So my dad said to draw a plan and figure out what all I'll need and he'll run by Home Depot again this week and pick it all up. So far I've got this!

image.jpeg

Sorry it's not that good of a picture. I haven't even added the stand part to the climbing wall yet, as I don't know how big to make it. But it will be 23.5 inches long and 40.5 inches high. Three seagrass mats will be attached to the frame via safe rope or something. The pipe on the very top will also act as a perch, and will be wrapped with vet wrap. A bunch of homemade toys will be hung on the stand and mats in various places for added fun.

The hanging atom toy that I'm going to hang from the ceiling is also being planned out. I think we're going to need to order the flexible PVC pipe online, because we couldn't find any at Home Depot. The rest of my family was trying to convince me to get some flexible PEX pipe or whatever it was called. I've never heard of it, and I'm therefore not going to give it to my birds. Despite what I kept telling them, they continued looking at this said pipe and my dad eventually said we'll pass since we couldn't find any fittings to go with it. The only ones they had were metal, and my dad said the only reason we weren't getting those was because they were expensive. Yeah, sure, that's the only reason. He won't even consider the fact that these metal fittings could be toxic to my birds. So sure, say what you want, Dad, but all I know is those would never have been given to my birds, even if they weren't expensive.

Now, I have a question for you guys. Is this climbing stand thing a good idea? Or is it just all a waste? I'd just like to get everyone's opinion on it.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I think they Will love it, I would add a few perches sideways too so they can be there too(Maybe you already are and I read over it, sorry if so!). I am very excited for you! I really love your seagrass mats on the wall, I am going to rearrange my/bird room again and I am going to put a seagrass Matt on the wall too, thank you for that idea!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@SquawksNibbles - Wow, can't wait to see it if you have it built! Here is some info on the PEX pipe, hopefully that might help you to see what it's made of, and whether it might be harmful. They are questioning whether the drinking water is as safe as PVC... I have no experience with this. Cross-linked polyethylene - Wikipedia