• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DIY Play Tree - Advice Needed for a Paranoid Parront

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Hey all!

So, I've been working on building a play tree for my two cockatiels, and a few weeks ago, after doing a mind-numbing amount of research, I finally STARTED this project!!! But of course, given that I tend to err on the side of caution when it comes to my birds, there were a few things I wanted to go over.

The branches I picked out I got from a nearby nature reserve, so I know no pesticides were ever in the area. I took them home, cleaned and scrubbed them in hot water in the shower and wiped them down with Grapefruit Seed Extract/Water solution. The past week, we have had a streak of nice (cold, but still...) sunny days, so the branches have been outside (on a table close to the back door of the house) soaking up the sun.

I was planning on baking the smaller branches at about 200F for between a half hour to an hour; however, the base of the play gym is about as tall as I am! Is there anything else that you guys would recommend doing to ensure that the base part of this play tree is disinfected as thoroughly as possible?

Also, when I was originally collecting the branches, I thought I was collecting branches from a beech tree. However, a friend of mine (and nature expert) was visiting me today, and I asked him to check the branches just to see if I'd identified the branches correctly. Apparently, the branches are NOT from a beech tree but are from a MAPLE tree. :bash: He is guessing it is either a sugar maple or a red maple, but can't be sure. Which is fine, I think, so long as I remove the bark from the branches... I've been using this website as my guide: Bird; Birds: Safe, Toxic Trees, Woods. Safe Tree Wood. Parrots. Parrot cages.
So my other question for you all is: what is the best way to remove the bark?

Thank you so much! I would also love to hear about/see pictures of diy play tree projects that you all have done! :)

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Try a veggie peeler for getting the bark off :)
I was way less thorough in washing my branches... they just get scrubbed with a dish brush and vinegar/water.

That's the floor one I made, apple and silver maple. Can't find any other pics of it for some reason

That one's basswood/linden :)

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Whoa!!!! Those both look professionally done! Your birds look so happy!

Yeah, I feel like one of two things happens the more I read about other people's diy tree projects: either I read more and more about people being super duper thorough (thus making me feeling like I have not done enough) OR I find reassuring posts like yours and I feel more confident about what I'm doing. So thank you so much! :laugh:

I also really like the vegetable peeler idea - especially since some of the parts of the branch towards the top are sorta thin.

Thank you!!!!

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
I was pretty confident with the sources of my branches, they were just from family/friends/neighbors doing routine pruning. I'd think ones collected from relatively untouched nature would be fine with a thorough scrub, too. :D

Perriewinkle

Try a veggie peeler for getting the bark off :)

I 2nd this.. it's the most fun I've had making a mess in years! and with the peeler you can put in your own grooves and highs and lows before a light sanding so that it's not totally smooth

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Maple branches are just fine and there's no need to remove the bark.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Is there anything else that you guys would recommend doing to ensure that the base part of this play tree is disinfected as thoroughly as possible?
A power washer (or car wash) will clean it as good as it needs to be. Don't start getting OCD about it. Birds land in "dirty" trees all the time.

So my other question for you all is: what is the best way to remove the bark?
The birds will remove the bark for you. That's where half the fun is.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
A power washer (or car wash) will clean it as good as it needs to be. Don't start getting OCD about it. Birds land in "dirty" trees all the time.

OCD? Bless your heart....you always make me smile. I'm too scared to even try this yet!

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I know! That's why I wanted a beech branch, so I wouldn't have to worry about the bark. But do you think leaving the bark would be okay even if it is specifically a red maple? (I have not yet removed the bark, but I was going to do it today.)

I appreciate all the advice! This has all been super reassuring. It is my first time doing a project like this, so I want to make sure I get it right!

Today I'll be trying to finish up this project and putting it all together! I'll let you all know how it goes!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
As long as you blast it well, cook it in the sun for few days and it will be fine