• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DIY Finch Cabinet Aviary??

Gee Nick

Moving in
Hello all! My family is thinking about adding some finches to our home. The thought came to us after we saw a glass cabinet turned bird cage for a pair of finches in a hospice place. We liked the idea of everything seeming clean and contained, but I wasn’t sure if this is an acceptable setup for them. These finches looked like gouldians and we were thinking either gouldians or zebra finches. Are these glass front cages ok for these birds or are they dangerous?
These were the finches we saw: 0757CF77-EB73-41CA-84DF-E8783E5E8A1F.jpeg

An idea of what I’m thinking of:
2CC906DB-C026-4383-B829-705AD90FA3A4.jpeg

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I have also looked into doing something along these lines with mesh. I do not think glass in suitable. Birds require a steady turn over of fresh air and without a mechanical system to circulate air glass could be a hinderance. When I looked into my own project I found there is a cost advantage to just build an aviary. There is a lot of expense in buying a cabinet, and adapting it. I found I could frame out a walk-in aviary for a similar price point or just a pinch more. At the moment I am unable to build the walk-in aviary as I rent my house. But in the future I would prefer a walk-in aviary, it would be easier to clean and a better option for finches. You could make it a proper finch paradise.

If you do adapt a cabinet, go as wide as you can. If you use an old cabinet you need to be careful of molds. You should also be mindful of the type of wood and the materials/glues etc used to construct it. Don't underestimate how much clean-up will be required. My finches eat different foods than my parrots, but they also make a different kind of mess. Finches seem to get poop on the sides of things relatively easily. So your large cabinet would need to open in such a way that you can reach in and wash the sides/walls and such.

After perplexing over my own cabinet concept my advice is to remember the birds do not need to live in a cabinet. Their welfare must come first and if that means scrapping the cabinet idea that is worth it. No matter how aesthetically interesting the cabinets are the finches should get room enough to fly, fresh air and a clean environment. If you have the funds to make something cool try a walk-in aviary that is many meters long! :)

Gee Nick

Moving in
Thank
I have also looked into doing something along these lines with mesh. I do not think glass in suitable. Birds require a steady turn over of fresh air and without a mechanical system to circulate air glass could be a hinderance. When I looked into my own project I found there is a cost advantage to just build an aviary. There is a lot of expense in buying a cabinet, and adapting it. I found I could frame out a walk-in aviary for a similar price point or just a pinch more. At the moment I am unable to build the walk-in aviary as I rent my house. But in the future I would prefer a walk-in aviary, it would be easier to clean and a better option for finches. You could make it a proper finch paradise.

If you do adapt a cabinet, go as wide as you can. If you use an old cabinet you need to be careful of molds. You should also be mindful of the type of wood and the materials/glues etc used to construct it. Don't underestimate how much clean-up will be required. My finches eat different foods than my parrots, but they also make a different kind of mess. Finches seem to get poop on the sides of things relatively easily. So your large cabinet would need to open in such a way that you can reach in and wash the sides/walls and such.

After perplexing over my own cabinet concept my advice is to remember the birds do not need to live in a cabinet. Their welfare must come first and if that means scrapping the cabinet idea that is worth it. No matter how aesthetically interesting the cabinets are the finches should get room enough to fly, fresh air and a clean environment. If you have the funds to make something cool try a walk-in aviary that is many meters long! :)
Thank you for telling me! I’ll research some other options like you said that could work in the room we are planning!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hey, I have one like you probably saw in the nursing home (In fact, sadly, I’m selling mine). I agree with what @fashionfobie said, and that’s why we made modifications. I think with any of them, you can make it work but you have to consider air flow and temperature.
I have had gouldians and canaries in it. One person told me they’d had up to 30 in one like this. That’s too many; we usually had around 10.

Here’s the photo of “mine” from the company’s website: 38D017CB-040E-4FE0-8F66-B805BE67B192.png

I don’t have a lot of photos but I’ll show you what I can.
The back top half was wood with that excelsior stuff packed behind wire. We cut off. The top half back and put in 2 layers of wire, with new excelsior in between. We found that there was plenty of air flow this way (there’s a wire mesh across the top) and themperature didn’t rise when the cabinet was closed; if it had,We were going to change the glass on the 2 bottom side doors to wire mesh.

I have used it with tree branches inside, and also hung various perches. Then I just strung lots of fake vines, which the birds liked to perch on.

It had a big fluorescent light inside on top, which worked great I eventually replaced that with a bird-oriented light but I think the first one was okay and this was an unnecessary expense.

AFter some years of use, I discovered the excelsior was holding tons of dust and debris. We pulled it all out and left the 2 layers of wire in place, using fake plants to cover it somewhat. I bought enough plants to be able to have a set in while the other was out for washing.

The glass proved to be a non-issue. The birds flew gently into it usually when first placed in the cabinet. They quickly learned the boundaries and we never had one become injured from the glass.

I personally don’t use those little wicker nests for gouldians. So I cut 4 holes across the back that were each big enough for one nest box. So the boxes hung outside, and I could accesss them from the back. Very convenient and I didn’t have to disturb the birds to look in the boxes.

The floor is wood and easy to clean, but I always wanted to put linoleum down. We have mostly kept it covered with newspapers, we did try shavings but they blew around. Most recently we had 2 pieces of green “grass” and we would keep one on the floor while the other was hosed off and dried. Many people say this is easier than other floor coverings. We don’t think that’s the case.

D1760E21-A51F-4FC3-A51A-1C36667CE0BB.jpeg 37FAB64D-FF9D-4639-A558-CF3CB3E3681A.jpeg EC2DE2EF-21E9-44D7-A53F-D9B20F5CE95C.jpeg 79A2C785-7B3F-41E8-A98A-850DCB31D8E2.jpeg 79A2C785-7B3F-41E8-A98A-850DCB31D8E2.jpeg 74C34930-6444-42B1-B8EC-AAC9AAC99079.jpeg

Gee Nick

Moving in
Wow thanks for the detail! I guess with modifications like you said and proper maintenance it could work? I don’t think we plan to have a ton of finches, though.

Rædwalda

Strolling the yard
I guess it's doable, if you find something as wide as possible, as they really need width to fly properly, as well as some height. I would be concerned about ventilation and would replace all the glass with mesh, which should be easy with a wooden cabinet, and also at least laminate the bottom with pet-safe enamel.

I built my aviary from bamboo and mesh, here's some pics, may give you some ideas: IMG_20211029_160514447.jpg IMG_20211029_161027960.jpg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Wow thanks for the detail! I guess with modifications like you said and proper maintenance it could work? I don’t think we plan to have a ton of finches, though.
Yes. I just love mine. I am letting it go because I rearranged the room, and moved it into the (former) dining room, but then we got bunnies and started fostering bunnies. So the aviary got squeezed out.

My opinion is that it does work, and finches need a minimum of 30" across to fly - most of these cabinets people modify are more than that. Mine was a proper aviary, it is one of the smallest they make at 4 feet wide. So that's plenty of room. It is easy to clean because of the side doors - two on each side. I literally just raise my hand, and they don't fly out. I guess we've worked out a communication system. :D

One thing, if you're going to modify a cabinet. Don't put just one access. I see people making one big glass door across the front. To me that's a mistake; make some access on the sides. And as you said -- be sure to modify and then check both air flow and temperature.

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
I've been returning to look at this conversation for the last couple of months, hope it's okay to resurrect it.

I've been wondering about the front-to-back depth of some of the handmade or upcycled aviary cabinets. Many of the china cabinets I've seen are significantly shallower than 18 inches. Does increased width (like if it's 72 inches across) make up for an inch or two lost in depth?

I have the opportunity to get a cabinet from someone that is "almost" free. The top and bottom are the same depth - which is a smidge under 18 inches. The glass-ed in portion (which I would change to mesh) is 70 inches across and 60 inches high. This seems (to me) that it would make a nice-sized "box" for some finches.

My other choice is a 48 inch wide, 24 inch deep former entertainment center. Less width, more depth, approximately the same height.

For those of you who know finches better than I, which of those would you choose?

(Clarification: I've been interested in doing this as a project for a long time, it would be meant for finches, but as I don't actually have any finches (yet) the whole thing might end up living in someone else's house)

Momof3litt

These are the 2 cabinets I'm looking at (for scale, the one on the left is 70 inches wide, the one on the right is 48)

China_cabinet.jpg Entertainment_cab.jpg

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Go as wide as possible. The one on the left is a better option.
I was thinking the same. What's the depth on that cabinet? I'd like to see that one done.

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Does increased width (like if it's 72 inches across) make up for an inch or two lost in depth?
It depends. A few extra inches of depth will have a much larger impact than a few inches of additional length, when you are dealing with a narrow box. But which one is better will depend on overall dimensions.

If I am understanding correctly, you have two options. Option 1 is 70 inch long by 18 inch wide by 60 inch tall. Option 2 is 48 inch long by 24 inch wide by 60 inch tall.

Option 1 - 70x18x60 = ~75,600 cubic inches
Option 2 - 48x24x60 = ~69,100 cubic inches

In this case, the extra length works out and you get more interior space. This makes sense, because it is a good 22 inches longer, while the shorter option is only 6 inches deeper.

If the second option was a little deeper ... say 30 inchs instead of 24 inches, it would provide more interior space (86,400 cubic inches). So an additional 12 inches of depth would give more space than 22 inches of length.

Anyways, I would agree that Option 1 looks better. Ideally, you want the box with the most usable interior space. And having some nice length will give the birds more room to fly.

Good luck on your project!

Momof3litt

I was thinking the same. What's the depth on that cabinet? I'd like to see that one done.
It's 18 inches. Ideally I'd like to make it a solid 24, will have to see if I can modify. We will be using the bottom cabinet for a different project, so will also have to find some legs or something for the aviary part. It will mean that I can be flexible with the depth of the sides though (I hope).