• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Diy double flight?

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
How do you make a double flight cage? Found a good deal on two good flights, and want to see about attaching them.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I think @finchly mentioned once that she did that for her finches.

I put together two flights for Chirp once, I left the sides intact and took off the feeder doors so he could go between the two (ultimately I took them apart and one is his main cage and the other is his upstairs play area cage). But ideally I would have cut out the sides and made one long thing, but I was worried about the unsafe metal under the powder coat. But I'd imagine if your bird isn't a big chewer you could probably wrap the parts with exposed metal (the metal under the powder coat) with fleece or another bird-safe material.

@Laurie did a similar thing for her caiques a while back, if you go digging for the thread. She put 4 flights together, which is where I got my idea to do a double flight for Chirp from.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I think @finchly mentioned once that she did that for her finches.

I put together two flights for Chirp once, I left the sides intact and took off the feeder doors so he could go between the two (ultimately I took them apart and one is his main cage and the other is his upstairs play area cage). But ideally I would have cut out the sides and made one long thing, but I was worried about the unsafe metal under the powder coat. But I'd imagine if your bird isn't a big chewer you could probably wrap the parts with exposed metal (the metal under the powder coat) with fleece or another bird-safe material.

@Laurie did a similar thing for her caiques a while back, if you go digging for the thread. She put 4 flights together, which is where I got my idea to do a double flight for Chirp from.
I saw that thread, but she doesn't say how she did it beyond having to attach the cages to the stands

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
For what specie? My flight cage is easy to make a double with. Just not use two of the sides will do it. To attach them you can use good quality zip ties. But that depends on the specie of course.

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
For what specie? My flight cage is easy to make a double with. Just not use two of the sides will do it. To attach them you can use good quality zip ties. But that depends on the specie of course.
Budgies.The cage I found was prevue Hendrix flight.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@HolliDaze I bought 2 Prevue Hendryx (I think??) XL cages, the number is F050. i removed the 2 sides that face, well I never did put them on, and used zip ties. We also cut the legs off because in the beginning they were on a countertop. Now they are on the floor but still as tall as I am. I don't think we have ever replaced the zip ties, they've held up fine. We have finches in them.

Pretty sure @taxidermynerd tried it with the F040, the Large, and it didn't come apart like the other. So you have to make sure the bars are not welded in. I'm sitting beside an HQ and an A&E, these 2 are welded.

The other thing you might check is putting them back to back. You'd have a big square, more or less, instead of a long cage like I have. But hey - more room is more room!

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
@HolliDaze I bought 2 Prevue Hendryx (I think??) XL cages, the number is F050. i removed the 2 sides that face, well I never did put them on, and used zip ties. We also cut the legs off because in the beginning they were on a countertop. Now they are on the floor but still as tall as I am. I don't think we have ever replaced the zip ties, they've held up fine. We have finches in them.

Pretty sure @taxidermynerd tried it with the F040, the Large, and it didn't come apart like the other. So you have to make sure the bars are not welded in. I'm sitting beside an HQ and an A&E, these 2 are welded.

The other thing you might check is putting them back to back. You'd have a big square, more or less, instead of a long cage like I have. But hey - more room is more room!
I am considering a F040. I'll upgrade to a F050 if I can't connect the F040's. could you have kept the legs on, or would removing them.be neccessary?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I am considering a F040. I'll upgrade to a F050 if I can't connect the F040's. could you have kept the legs on, or would removing them.be neccessary?
Oh you could definitely keep them on. We removed them because we were putting the cages up on a kitchen counter-height thing. Later, when we brought them down of course we wished we'd left them on!

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I did the same. Just pushed them together and added zip ties as needed.