• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures DIY cage from furniture?

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
My baby 'keets are in their little cage still and are now flying around like crazy so it is time for an upgrade!
I've been looking at Kings cages and saw the cages that look like furniture and thought "I can do that!"

I have a table very similar to this (it's a corner type antique table but larger than the one pictured) and am thinking of trying it out.
Thoughts? has anyone else tried this? I am in love with how it looks but don't really want to spend all of the time making it if others have tried and found it didn't work well :p

This picture is NOT mine, just the concept I am interested in trying!! :) Let me know if you have tried this please or any suggestions you have!

511e6297e972da4d1509dab58845c100.jpg

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It's so dark in there. No way to get lighting on the birds. Don't mean to rain on your parade. What do you like about it?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
You can do it but whatever you do, splurge for stainless wire mesh. Saw a cheekie at the vet's that they almost lost because of that wire.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
If you are relatively close to me, I am looking at getting one of the larger flight cages from AE 38 x 24 x 67. Splitting the shipping would save some money.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
It's so dark in there. No way to get lighting on the birds. Don't mean to rain on your parade. What do you like about it?
I was brain storming that, and have an idea. There are stick-on LED lights that I could mount to the top and then line the top with mesh as well. I like the LED because they last forever and do not get hot.
I like the look because I have a lot of antiques around my house :)
If you are relatively close to me, I am looking at getting one of the larger flight cages from AE 38 x 24 x 67. Splitting the shipping would save some money.
Definitely will use SS if I do end up trying this out!

I am in love with this style enclosure https://www.customcages.com/mb14-bird-cage-36-h-x-36-l-x-24-d.html

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The concept is great. That cage is horrible. It's too close to the ground. It's triangle shape leaving no real space inside. The perches are awful. Too dark..................

If you build it right and do so from a bird's perspective it's fine. Bird housing is about function. Not style. If style is going to compromise function then it's got to go.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I totally agree with John. Don’t be like the lady who chose her parrot and cage color to go with the decor. No likes from me :D

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
When we got Pogo, we customized a wardrobe for his cage. We liked it at the time, but knew nothing about bird safety and it was long before learning anything here. I'd be embarrassed to show you now. We replaced the front and side wood panels with wire baskets which added a bit more room. And put Plexiglas at the bottom of them and on the lower panels. There was wire grate on the ceiling for him to climb on and a boing and 2 levels. But really not a lot of climbing area. When he first came home he just had the upper half so the clumsy baby wouldn't have far to fall. Then we opened up half the upper floor later. Inside the back which was the original solid wood I put various pictures of birds and trees and covered them with Plexiglas.
In my defense I was home with the farm so he wasn't in his cage much during the day. I had planned to upgrade to a "real" cage at some point but lost him before that happened.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
The concept is great. That cage is horrible. It's too close to the ground. It's triangle shape leaving no real space inside. The perches are awful. Too dark..................

If you build it right and do so from a bird's perspective it's fine. Bird housing is about function. Not style. If style is going to compromise function then it's got to go.
Absolutely! This is why I asked before just going for it. I actually didn't know about the low to the ground thing, so this table definitely is definitely not the one.
@Lady Jane I love the bigger ones that look like old armoires maybe? I think we can do it, I'm just going to have to inventory my older furniture or go do some searching :p

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Tons of finch owners do that!! Usually with the bigger/armoire ones but I don’t see why you couldn’t do the lower thing. Maybe even create legs?

I have one of those custom cages like you see in nursing homes — wood and glass. I was concerned about air flow so I cut out the back top half (wood) and replaced it with wire mesh. Then I put another layer of mesh about 2” away from that one, and stuffed fibers in between that you use in plant baskets.... it’s woody-looking stem stuff. :D. When the finches are desperate they’ll pull that out to build nests...anyway...

It has a screen across the top, so I first laid a strip light from Lowe’s across the top. Then we mounted one on the inside by hanging it from chains.

Most people I know who have built their cages from old tv cabinets put under cabinet lights or strip lights at the top....bear in mind these are finches, they don’t chew.

I will find you some photos tomorrow (I save them when they’re cute). Remind me if I don’t do it.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you have cats a low cage would not be so good. The buddies would always be on guard.

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
I think this is a great idea and *can* work, but I would suggest the following:
- as others have mentioned, it must be higher off the ground, so legs would be wonderful (and would help with cleaning time, also, as you won't be wanting to bend over for daily chores);
- although having a back is great, having two backs, so to speak, makes it to dar. So if you go for a corner piece, perhaps create small openings with the mesh (for light and ventilation) on the sides in addition to the whole mesh front;
- finally, perhaps start with what you want the inside to be/look like (dimensions, esp.) and then look for a piece of furniture to match. This might make things easier in the long run.

Obligatory disclaimer: I've never made one of these myself, but have always been tempted to. My main grip with the concept is that usually pieces of furniture make for relatively little room (and usually narrow) inside. But if these minuses can be addressed, I think you could end up with a winner! Best of luck and if you do decide to make one, keep us posted please! :)

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I've seen people make cages out of old TV stands. Like the older fashion big ones. The backs of those are usually open so you could put wire on the back and put it near a window to make sure light goes in. I would imagine this would be a very big and expensive project tho. You'd need to find one made out of bird safe wood, stainless wire, and there'd be a lot of cutting to do. I do think its possible but I bet financially it'll be better to go with the premade cage you've been looking at.

Another idea you could do for lighting is open up the top. Take a saw and cut a big opening in the top and cover it with stainless wire, this will allow you to hang toys from the top and let in more lighting.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
I've seen people make cages out of old TV stands. Like the older fashion big ones. The backs of those are usually open so you could put wire on the back and put it near a window to make sure light goes in. I would imagine this would be a very big and expensive project tho. You'd need to find one made out of bird safe wood, stainless wire, and there'd be a lot of cutting to do. I do think its possible but I bet financially it'll be better to go with the premade cage you've been looking at.

Another idea you could do for lighting is open up the top. Take a saw and cut a big opening in the top and cover it with stainless wire, this will allow you to hang toys from the top and let in more lighting.
I like the entertainment idea!
The enclosure I really like is $2,333.90 so I'm pretty sure a DIY is cheaper :roflmao: I have expensive tastes....
I actually found a hoosier that has some serious potential and it has a greater depth to accommodate the flour sifter still in it. It is very cool though and I would hate to tear it apart but it will be worth it if it is structurally sound.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Something you could also probably do to ensure the birds stay off the wood is buy plexi glass from a hardware store and cut it to size to cover the wood. The only problem I then see you running into is how to attach perches and will it be something you can change around over time or will you be stuck with whatever set up you decide.

Christy Cat

Meeting neighbors
I've been doing a lot of reading up on cage making myself but am finding it hard to find all the necessary materials. I love the furniture cages but as others have said a lot of furniture dimensions and what don't make for very good bird set ups. custom bird cage.jpg

This is a guy that makes custom cages that are absolutely beautiful! I want to make something like this. I just don't see why cages can't be both functional and beautiful.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
This is a guy that makes custom cages that are absolutely beautiful! I want to make something like this. I just don't see why cages can't be both functional and beautiful.
I really like that cage! :)
The biggest different are that a furniture cage will always be dark and can not be placed in front of a window like this.

One thing more to consider if you should make your own furniture cage is that the wood is safe and it's not being prepared with something poison.
For what I know all lasures are poison for an example.

If you use an old wardrobe you can make a great (and IMO beautiful) cage.