• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Distressed green cheek in pet store

Stephutten

Moving in
Real Name
Stephanie Uttenreither
Saw this little guy in petsmart today. Made me really sad, there was a pineapple next to him that looked healthy and wasn't plucking.

Are there specific green cheeks that are more prone to stress and plucking? Never looked into green cheeks so I have no idea.

Honestly made me want to take him home, but I just got a pionus and don't have room atm.

20240113_133621.jpg

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Gosh, I hate that. I try to avoid looking when I go to PetSmart but last week I did. They had a Sun Conure with weirdly greasy-looking feathers and was drooling from the beak! I told the guy there that he didn't look well, and he said, "Oh no, he is okay. We just got him in from the breeder." Ugh. He was 2 years old too. I felt the same as you, but I can't bring home a sick bird from PetSmart right now.

I had a Green Cheek that plucked her chest. She also had a heart condition and the vet thought that could be the reason, but she was the most happy, snuggly, well-adjusted bird I've ever known. So I don't know why this little guy would be doing it. Could be illness, could be environmental stress.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
can you get in contact with their corporate office?

Kassiani

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yeah, it breaks my heart to go into Pet Smart etc. It's just too sad to see the birds that become so distressed.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Poor love.

I am also disappointed to see a water bottle for a parrot. In my opinion all birds should have access to open water so they may dip their beaks if they want!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Some birds personalities just don't cope as well with pet store life

My quaker Phoebe was non stop , non. Stop. Screaming in pet store. Had started to pluck shoulders very very mild , has grey under fluff sticking out , and over preening, hand phobic.. but she turned around and thriving now