• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Disgusting

JaneLane

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
He looks like a recessive pied(I could be wrong though) their eyes stay black for life if I recall correctly. So it is possible that this is the "blue" budgie and whoever told you about him didn't pay attention to his color. My Grandmother thinks Amelia is yellow even though she is blue and white and when asking me about she asks about my "yellow parakeet" I think its because she doesnt see her often so she remembers as yellow for some reason. So hopefully there was no foul play regarding a blue budgie but it is unfortunate this one has been in his cage so long.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Dark eyes, pink/purple cere, that colouring and mature? @JaneLane wins. He's a Recessive Pied.
Don't we have a forum member close enough to look after him? I'm not suggesting taking him away. If someone could just call in a couple of times a week to check on him, clean his cage, sort some toys and perches. Dammit if I was close enough I'd even throw a decent cage in, and maybe a buddy.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
In the US when birds are in a medical facility there is a contracted company that does all the care and cleaning for a birds maintenance. One nursing home where i went as a hospice nurse had several nice large wooden cages with lovebirds. They were well cared for with all the bells and whistles. Even layed eggs and hatched babies.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
There was once another thread here about birds in a nursing home.

It’s not as easy to intervene and provide the help we know the birds need as there are usually hurdles or issues with the nursing home staff, the pet owners family members etc. bigger cages would not be acceptable in most cases as nursing homes are there to cater for the essentials a human needs to survive and there are size requirements for most items of furniture etc as they can not have anything in the way if there’s an emergency.

The bird is likely a pet of one of the residents and only allowed to be there because looking at it enhances the residents life’s.
The animals that usually live at these sorts of places are treated exactly like board games/dvds..... they can’t take up too much room but need to be entertaining and easy to put aside when not used.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The animals that usually live at these sorts of places are treated exactly like board games/dvds..... they can’t take up too much room but need to be entertaining and easy to put aside when not used.
Just like we just witnessed in the case of Toothless and Hiccup. I'm afraid this happens many many times in many many places :(

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Dark eyes, pink/purple cere, that colouring and mature? @JaneLane wins. He's a Recessive Pied.
Don't we have a forum member close enough to look after him? I'm not suggesting taking him away. If someone could just call in a couple of times a week to check on him, clean his cage, sort some toys and perches. Dammit if I was close enough I'd even throw a decent cage in, and maybe a buddy.
That would be a good idea! Any forum members in Drysdale?

I asked if he could come out and fly around when I was there, they acted like I was talking about an alien subject. As if birds can’t be let out?! What are you talking about!

Last edited:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Please just be careful trying to help as it is often taken the wrong way.
Once the management realise there could be a potential issue with the care/food/housing the animal in question has their first thought is often to just have the animal removed.
Please be very very careful trying to make changes as it may make things worse for the bird.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Please just be careful trying to help as it is often taken the wrong way.
Once the management realise there could be a potential issue with the care/food/housing the animal in question has their first thought is often to just have the animal removed.
Please be very very careful trying to make changes as it may make things worse for the bird.
Yep I’m treading very carefully. I’m glad they let me put the perches and toy in atleast!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Yep I’m treading very carefully. I’m glad they let me put the perches and toy in atleast!
The last person I know of who tried to help a bird in a situation similar to this one bought and donated a massive new cage and perches and toys for the bird and then the staff put a heap of other birds (and breeding boxes etc) into the same cage taking up all the extra room. This was done after there was talk of just getting rid of the bird because a visitor had raised some issues about the standard of care, cage size etc.
From memory the bird was called Julie and was a galah....she ended up with a heap of doves I think they were in the cage with her and her situation was not improved but discussion had been had about getting rid of the birds because someone pointed out the incorrect care.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
My granddaughter is volunteering at a nursing home for the summer. She just told me that they have a budgie in their common area. She is a budgie lover like me and told me that the budgie is cared for by the staff and he had tons of toys (but not as many as Sam does Nana) and is allowed out in the sunroom. There is one resident that makes sure he is given everything he needs (she had birds). I am relieved as this is obviously not always ther case.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
The last person I know of who tried to help a bird in a situation similar to this one bought and donated a massive new cage and perches and toys for the bird and then the staff put a heap of other birds (and breeding boxes etc) into the same cage taking up all the extra room. This was done after there was talk of just getting rid of the bird because a visitor had raised some issues about the standard of care, cage size etc.
From memory the bird was called Julie and was a galah....she ended up with a heap of doves I think they were in the cage with her and her situation was not improved but discussion had been had about getting rid of the birds because someone pointed out the incorrect care.
Maybe I should leave it at donating the perches and toy? I don’t want that to happen. :bash::explode:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It’s definitely a difficult situation when so many people still see fish and birds as easy to care for, easy to dispose of and easy to replace.
It still amazes me how many people seem to think that the birds are fine as long as they fit in the cage and have a stick to sit on and some seed to eat. It’s very sad that the majority of people are so far behind with correct care knowledge....I’m still horrified how many people tell me my cages are too big for my birds and they have too many toys- the common thing I get told is that the reason people choose birds as pets is because they are cheap and don’t need much space or care to keep them alive! There’s never a mention of their happiness or quality of life which is just awful. I’ve also been laughed at because I’m apparently wasting my time doing daily cage cleaning?
I can’t help but wonder when the general public (and animal welfare people) will catch on to what kind of care is fair/correct and deserved for the birds we choose to breed and cage and who have no choice in their living conditions.

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
It’s definitely a difficult situation when so many people still see fish and birds as easy to care for, easy to dispose of and easy to replace.
It still amazes me how many people seem to think that the birds are fine as long as they fit in the cage and have a stick to sit on and some seed to eat. It’s very sad that the majority of people are so far behind with correct care knowledge....I’m still horrified how many people tell me my cages are too big for my birds and they have too many toys- the common thing I get told is that the reason people choose birds as pets is because they are cheap and don’t need much space or care to keep them alive! There’s never a mention of their happiness or quality of life which is just awful. I’ve also been laughed at because I’m apparently wasting my time doing daily cage cleaning?
I can’t help but wonder when the general public (and animal welfare people) will catch on to what kind of care is fair/correct and deserved for the birds we choose to breed and cage and who have no choice in their living conditions.
I think most of the world likes to stay 50 years behind in animal care. :mad2:

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Unfortunately most people do not know anything about birds especially the smaller parrots. Budgies are seen as throw-away pets. These falsehoods are believed until they are taken in as pets and prove all this information wrong. These birds are not only intelligent but have unique and distinct personalities. Anyone who has ever bonded with a budgie can tell you that. It hurts me to see a sad, lonely bird stuck in a cage with no interaction and no toys and having to endure that sad, lonely life. These birds could teach a lot of humans a lesson or two about life. Seriously so sad....

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Unfortunately most people do not know anything about birds especially the smaller parrots. Budgies are seen as throw-away pets. These falsehoods are believed until they are taken in as pets and prove all this information wrong. These birds are not only intelligent but have unique and distinct personalities. Anyone who has ever bonded with a budgie can tell you that. It hurts me to see a sad, lonely bird stuck in a cage with no interaction and no toys and having to endure that sad, lonely life. These birds could teach a lot of humans a lesson or two about life. Seriously so sad....
So sad. :darkcloud:

Serin

Sprinting down the street
It doesn’t have the baby forehead bars, but the eyes are still all black which I think means this yellow one is still a baby. Not sure what age the eyes change though, as both of mine still have the all black button eyes at 3 and approximately 6 months old :shrug3:
It's a recessive pied. it will never have white irises.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
It doesn't surprise me that people think like that about budgies, my mom did the same and wanted to have a couple of them in her dinning room because they are so pretty... Knew nothing about birds, and suffered from asthma!?
When you think there was a polar bear stuck for years behind a glass in the tiny corner of a mall in China so that people could look at it when grocery shopping, what can we expect when it comes to small birds... :darkcloud: