• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Discus anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennylyn
Has anyone bought fish online and had them shipped to you? I have a discus tank and I want more discus and a zebra pleco. If you have could you share the link to your trusted source? I found this place called somethingphishy and hes got the fish I want but I am hesitant since I have never heard any feedback

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Carole (Waterfaller1) has.

Lorylove

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bridgette
The aquarium store my bf works at has an online store, but I just asked and he said that most of their fresh water stuff isn't up yet, including discus. The store can ship, though, if you call with what you wanted. We are in California and I'd be happy to give you the number if you want it. They have really good prices. I personally have never ordered anything live online, but all I can tell you is that you will pay a pretty penny for overnight shipping. His store has an "arrive alive" guarantee, the store is called Aqualife Aquarium. :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have never ordered online but the way I see it, all it does is cut out the middle man. Fish in stores have to be shipped to the store, put in tanks for holding, then you take it home and put it in another tank. All of that has to be more stressful than having it shipped to you instead!

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I know quite a few people who order fish online with no issues, just make sure you have a QT.

Dana Lee

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dana
I just ordered fish online last month, the shop only uses overnight shipping. The fish are healthy/happy. I used aquariumfish.net :)

BridalWreath

Moving in
Real Name
Manda
I have heard a lot of people have success with it. Also, as stated above, a lot of people go to: aquariumfish.net

Kia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennylyn
Thanks for the replies. I ordered 2 Discus and a Flash pleco from Somethingsphishy and I got them this morning and they are all in a holding tank for 2 weeks per instructions of Keith from Somethingsphishy. I quarantine everything so his advice was well taken and I really appreciate that. His fish he breeds himself so there is no middle man. I am really very happy with these beautiful fish from Keith and I plan to do business with him again soon. His prices were the best, it is the over night shipping that is crazy high but better than buying from Petco or Petsmart where the fish are not taken care of.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Sorry I missed this thread. If you decide to get more, I have the name of the top breeder of discus in the U.S. He is located in south FL.Good luck with your new fish.

Kia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennylyn
Sorry I missed this thread. If you decide to get more, I have the name of the top breeder of discus in the U.S. He is located in south FL.Good luck with your new fish.
Thank you I would like his name or website. I will be adding another 45 gallon tank soon and I want all Discus. We were having a PH issue but I orderd some Blackwater extract and it does make your tank a natural Amazon River Amber color and the difference is amazing with my Discus.

Mrcrowley

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jim
We get fish as cargo for Southwest Airlines all the time here in New Hampshire they fill bad half with water and other half with oxygen and seal it up then they put them in shipping box. They will be fine for two days like that

paperdragon

I urge you to research Discus completely. A 45 gallon tank is nowhere near big enough for Discus.
Here is the breeder
Jack Wattley Discus

Here is a good site
SimplyDiscus

and here
Monster Fish Keepers

Yep, definitely agree. Monster fish keepers is a good forum, btw, easy to get help with tank problems and such there.

And here's about the best tank capacity calculator on the net: AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor (it has a pretty accurate way of calculating for bioload and compatibility).

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The calculator does not work for me, as I do not have any filter listed. My filtration consists of a 29 gallon sump, a filter sock, 4X large mesh bags with eheim media, and an external 850 GPH pump that returns to the tank. There is no calculation for this, so it says I am overstocked with 7 fish.:)

paperdragon

The calculator does not work for me, as I do not have any filter listed. My filtration consists of a 29 gallon sump, a filter sock, 4X large mesh bags with eheim media, and an external 850 GPH pump that returns to the tank. There is no calculation for this, so it says I am overstocked with 7 fish.:)
You just select "user defined" and type in your GPH. The filtration part still could use some work, since things like live plants and such factor into that, and I don't feel that GPH alone is a great gauge when it's the surface area the beneficial bacteria grows on that really matters. But still, it's a pretty decent little calculator.

Status
Not open for further replies.