• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

disabled parrots

lexalayne

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alexa
My B&G has a leg that bends over when he walks but when perching he has full strength to grip his perches. I use cotton rope perches to keep him comfortable. And for the most part it doesn't seem to bother him. We're reminded of it when he walks across the couch and he uses it bent over. The Vet thinks it's an old break in his leg. He's 17 years old. upload_2015-6-17_9-51-44.png

Last edited:

Chihuahua

Rollerblading along the road
I guess Orion isn't as bad off as I thought--he spends his life making it his goal to get up on my shoulder and can apparently fly there. Surprise!

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
Here's my little Timmy. He has healing femoral fractures, different leg lengths and pelvic/hip deformity. He always has such an endearing look on his face! 20150625_134954.jpg

birdnerd

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
claire
my lorikeet was a rescue hit by car. my friend picked up..stoped al lthe traffic to get him. he was originally living with her for the first few months . Then when they went on holiday to new zealand they sked to me to look after him. needless to say...he never went back!!! we clicked straight away..anyway.. he could never fly... if he tried he was like a stone..but he ran aroudn like a puppy and played so happily..never liked swings and movement...but if he was with me he would lean in the direction he wanted to go. He let me know. He died this year though wnen a dog..that im not a fan of.. ripped through my door.......so im considering taking in another friend..but would definately like to take in another bird with special needs. I loved every minute of helping him learn to climb and jump etc.... he was awesome...and such a funny thing. so anyone in New South Wales , around Sydney knows of any tht need a home let me know. :)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
if you count plucking i had 5 after my stroke i had to rehome 4

SunConure227

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Lauren
Both my Sun's wings were broken in a vet accident when she was little. She cannot fly, only flutter a bit. She's 15 now and it's never been an issue. I don't even think of her as special needs - it's more like her wings are permanently trimmed. If she wants to go somewhere she will flutter and lean that direction to get a 'lift', otherwise she can walk/climb as well as any bird. Her favorite things are bathing, chewing on boxes and getting chin rubs. She is super sweet and I wouldn't trade her for the world.

@birdnerd I'm so sorry for your loss. Your little lori sounds adorable and he was lucky to have you.