• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

disabled parrots

Jessflock

Meeting neighbors
I'm just wondering who has disabled birds? my green cheek conure Tara has a neurological disorder where she walks around like she is drunk and I have to pay careful attention weather wise because she is worse when it gets cold.

Also have a disabled Alexandrine parrot named Silly she has feet that curl in, she gets around well though just a little awkward. We had one budgie that had just one leg and he got around amazingly well.

Would love to hear some of your stories

Jess

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

Vegemite

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lynne
Hi Jess and welcome. YAY another Aussie. I have a splay-legged budgie not that HE knows it. He is one tough littlectyke and does everything the other birds do.

dmiller91

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Diane
I have one too... just learning how to deal with it. It's my thread out there about the bad leg. My girl is still healing.. she lost most of her toes to frostbite, and now I am praying for her foot. We worried about her leg for a while, but I'm more optimistic about that. I ordered her a dog kennel and some special perches so she can have more space. She and I are learning this as we go. She likes to sit on my shoulder, but I can't move too much because she can't grip! She loves to be held for as long as I can hold her while I scratch her head and neck......

I'm interested in all the stories too; I've spent the past month learning about all the handicapped birds out there and how they live and have adjusted.

Mariannee

Avenue Veteran
My cockatiel cannot fly drops like a stone and if too stressed flips onto his back and has seizures. Nothing can be done other than keep him happy and as stress free as possible and give him lots of free rides as we say here.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
We have a very special little tiel , rescued from a horrendous pet store. His name is Lord Maxwell Studmuffin. his feet are no more than lumps and he has two nails that somehow grown o ut of them..paralyzedin one leg and the other does not work well..he walks on his heels..wings very badly malformed..he cannot perch at all..we have adapted everything for h im as he needs flat surfaces...the day we saw him fly we wept like babies..

aisia

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Teresa
I have a disabled sun conure. When I got her I was told she was attacked by a macaw 5yrs ago. She lost a leg, has mangled toes on remaining foot, a split beak, some of her nostrils are showing and severe scissor beak. She can eat parakeet seed and mash but she has a little fisher lovebird as a mate that feeds her everyday to make sure she stays healthy.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Kiwi have one splayed leg and the other leg is too short (femur bone didnt formed completely) and still SHE doesnt know it! she flies and destroys every toy she gets! she is crazy and all but i wouldnt know now what will be our lives without her! Baylee have a wing that looks dislocated but she is not in pain and vet checked her no fractures so all is well...she was born like that and she cant fly.. (she tries to when she see Kiwi but no success)..

Mariannee

Avenue Veteran
I have a disabled sun conure. When I got her I was told she was attacked by a macaw 5yrs ago. She lost a leg, has mangled toes on remaining foot, a split beak, some of her nostrils are showing and severe scissor beak. She can eat parakeet seed and mash but she has a little fisher lovebird as a mate that feeds her everyday to make sure she stays healthy.
That is so precious what a star and her little friend as well.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Tiki, my BHP, has no tail or flight feathers so drops like a rock. Her feathers are pretty patchy in general although they have improved a little. She also has scissor beak that we're working on to get back to normal. She's an adorable bundle of love!

Itsy, my Meyer's, is missing a couple of toes but it doesn't slow her down any.

Darwin, TAG, was special needs when I got him, recovering from a broken wing, but has healed wonderfully and is an expert flyer again.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Hachi an older little girl with dropped pupils was abandoned. Rescue saved her but she was depressed and the vet thought she would perk up around my gang. She gets around slowly but surely although doesn't like to fly a lot.

Carlton was having drunken moments upon exertion but since he has been on benazepril and has been doing well. He has high blood pressure and an enlarged heart. Not sure exactly what but genetics most likely.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Charlie, my mitred conure, is missing half of his lower beak due to trying to bully a blind ruby macaw. That was about 8 years ago!

I've been asked if he can still eat and drink fine, but since this occurred 8 years ago and I don't feed him any different to any of the other birds, he sure can!!!! :D And he can still bite, too! :eek: In a sense, I'm glad he doesn't have his full beak, cause a bite from him would otherwise be excruciatingly painful! :bag: He gets his beak dremeled down every now and then to keep it from over-growing.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Maya my parrotlet is missing almost half her upper beak and three toes on her one foot. She lost then in the nest. Her mom bit then off :-[ you'd never know she was handicapped though...she sure doesn't!

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I have a Quaker baby, that has 1 foot turned in, and other foot, missing 3 nails., He gets around quite well, he can walk, and stand, & climb just a problem perching. Soon he will be going into his own cage, once his Mom weans him 100 %. I trying to set up his cage, thinking of flat platforms for him, even thinking of, finding a vendor that can make a ramp, to get to platform, so he can climb up to it.Any venders make ramps for to attach to a platform ? IMG_1216.JPG

Birdy_in_VT

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kurt
We have a soft spot for handicapped birds.
CAG with two badly deformed legs
Sun Conure with bad legs and cross beaked
Blue Crown Conure with a badly splayed leg
Sun Conure with one toe/nail

They are all inspirational to us on how they deal with their challenges.

Rose-nc

Checking out the neighborhood
Sebastian is 24 years old and recently fell off of his cage and fractured or broke his foot a week ago. He is eating well but is having trouble balancing. I am trying to make his cage handicap friendly and I am interested in reading all of your postings.

BeakyBird

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ashley
My little Ducky is missing toenails, and has neurological damage in his little legs causing him to have lots of trouble balancing. However, aside from that he's getting better every day at perching, and runs like a cheetah. Boy does he run like a cheetah. :rolleyes: