• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Disabled diamond injured again

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
Some of you guys may heard of Lovey my disabled diamond who has a permanent broken wing that causes him to flip over on his back. He recently recovered from a serious injury but sadly it has happened again. While we were asleep he flipped over and his claws dug into his head trying to flip himself back up. Thankfully his wound has gotten quite better and new skin has covered most of the wound except some areas. Though his feather condition is not quite good. Today he plucked out all of the feathers which had some of his dried blood on him. I wanted to go to the vet and get some liquid vitamins and more electrolytes but it has been raining cats and dogs all morning and afternoon and has no signs of stopping infact it is raining faster and faster now and the roads are all filled up with water. I have also noticed his feather coat is much thinner than my other doves. What could be the reason. I Kno he is molting since I can see some pricks here and there actually there are pricks on near the feathers he has plucked so maybe he had to remove them slowly . His crop feathers seem the thinist to me and half of the crop the place with dried blood has been plucked. Some one advised me to give him a cone is this the best idea I am hesitant as diamonds are so fragile and have lunch thin necks especially since he has a few pricks instead of feathers on his neck. What do you guys think?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm sorry he got hurt again.

@Birdbabe ?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry he hurt himself again, can you trim the sharp tips off his nails or at least file them blunt with a nail file.. so they're not as sharp. to tear his wound open again if he scratches at it? A nice misting or bath would probably make him feel better and not pluck the bloodied feathers. I really don't have any other advice, hope he is ok.

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Suhaimah
Sorry he hurt himself again, can you trim the sharp tips off his nails or at least file them blunt with a nail file.. so they're not as sharp. to tear his wound open again if he scratches at it? A nice misting or bath would probably make him feel better and not pluck the bloodied feathers. I really don't have any other advice, hope he is ok.
I think I'll file his nails Since trimming also leaves sharp edges.:unsure1: But I am happy to say he is still quite active cooing, eating and some what preening. :) .