• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dirt as Cage Litter

Cawgrl87

Moving in
My bird loves to forage and I was wondering if it would be okay to line the bottom of the cage with dirt and leaves from the woods behind my house and hide food in it. I've done some research on this but can't seem to find anything online about it. I know it would have to be scooped out and changed regularly so that mold and bacteria doesn't grow, but are there any other concerns? I'm a new bird owner and just trying to figure out how to keep my bird safe and happy.

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Wonderful that you are trying to give them a chance to forage. It is such an important activity for birds' well being, something that is often overlooked.
However, using soil, dirt could result in introducing your birds to "bugs" which could cause illness.
It could also result in spreading some unwanted organisms in your house.

It is OK for wild birds but our pet birds are not immune to this.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Aspergillosis grows in soil and most especially in damp soil with lots of biological food - like leaves. Aspergillosis in Pet Birds: Causes, Symptoms and Treatment

You definately don't want Asper in you bird. It is treatable, but expensive and there is a high mortality rate with Asper.

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Sounds good on paper, but you have to remember that in the wild, a bird's droppings are going to be spread out over many square miles, not confined to a few square feet. The threat of contamination is much greater when confined in an artificial situation, and fungus, bacteria and insects will reproduce quickly. In nature, surface contaminants are controlled by an exposure to an abundance of UV, which is impossible to duplicate in the home. So short answer--no.

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Actually, it is best to use flat paper so you can see at a glance what the poops look like. If you use shredded paper you can't get the same 'read' on it. :hehe:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You can still put shredded paper etc into a shallow bin for your bird to forage in :)

Tommymarshall

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Ryan
They also some waste pellets, I think they are made by Hagen, then you compost them. Just another idea, and they are very resonable.

Rabb.D

Strolling the yard
dirt is very good, good thing you picked up on this early i do it all the time, sometimes i even make a compost for the bird. but compost is kind of over doing it just regular earth is good it helps keeps the poo attached to the earth or dirt instead of the plastic bottom, its a good shot and the birds love it... and no worries about bugs, all animals have an immune system...:) god bless.

also on another note don't be bigoted about health like a lot of people, just remember to change the bottom twice a day or more and you'll see the results of how much easier and saner it is to keep a pet bird

Last edited:

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
dirt is very good, good thing you picked up on this early i do it all the time, sometimes i even make a compost for the bird. but compost is kind of over doing it just regular earth is good it helps keeps the poo attached to the earth or dirt instead of the plastic bottom, its a good shot and the birds love it... and no worries about bugs, all animals have an immune system...:) god bless.

also on another note don't be bigoted about health like a lot of people, just remember to change the bottom twice a day or more and you'll see the results of how much easier and saner it is to keep a pet bird
Paper is much easier and accomplishes the same result, without the risk of introducing harmful bacteria, parasites, fungi, and chemicals (if the soil has been contaminated) to your bird. To me it's just one more unnecessary risk.

Also this is just a small tip for your own cage set up: if that is your bird's primary cage I recommend a greater assortment of perches (and a few toys for good measure!). Without enough perch variation they can develop pressure sores on their feet. I'm sure your birdie will thank you for it!

Rabb.D

Strolling the yard
Paper is much easier and accomplishes the same result, without the risk of introducing harmful bacteria, parasites, fungi, and chemicals (if the soil has been contaminated) to your bird. To me it's just one more unnecessary risk.

Also this is just a small tip for your own cage set up: if that is your bird's primary cage I recommend a greater assortment of perches (and a few toys for good measure!). Without enough perch variation they can develop pressure sores on their feet. I'm sure your birdie will thank you for it!
yes thank you about the perch i typically put two perches together... i hope i find the other perch

Calpurnia

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dom
You're welcome, but I think I should have been more clear. While you're idea is getting on the right track the key is actually variation in the perch size. In the wild these birds are sitting on branches that vary greatly in diameter. This helps prevent pressure points from forming on the bottom of their feet (which can become sores) as well as exercises their grip. You can buy artificial ones (made of rope, plastic, or concrete) or just use SAFE natural branches. So the dowel and tubing is fine, but it wouldn't hurt to just add more perches. It will also help him have a more interesting environment.