• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endlesaley

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aley
Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to the forums. I posted on the new members area. I have a 10 month old IRN that I bought while I was still living up north. I recently moved down to Florida where the breeder of my IRN, Dalek is from. I just found out the breeder is selling the breeder pair of IRNs that Dalek came from.

Now my first thought is "These are Dalek's parents, I MUST buy them!". But then my rational side says that I shouldnt get them. I recently moved, am staying temporarily with my parents until we get our own place. I really am in no position to be getting more pets. (we have 2 dogs and 1 bird). I do want to get another bird, but another baby. These are also breeders. I have no intention of breeding, at least not in the near future. But theyre Dalek's PARENTS! I feel like I need to give them a home, if that makes any sense? I need someone to knock some sense into me. Its a 3 hour drive, which is good, another deterrant.

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
I suppose you'd need to calculate noise times 3. Food & toys times 3.
Your current living situation, your future plans, everything.
Yikes, if we had purchased all the parents of the various birds we've had, we'd be operating a zoo.
While it might be a nice idea, not sure if you've thought 'long-term' on this?
You also mention that at some point, you'd like another baby parrot. Maybe it's best to stick with your original plans:)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I understand. I was tempted a few years ago by the brother of my older Hahn's. But, realistically, we can't take in all of our pets' family members. And these are breeder birds, so they're likely not socialized (?), which will make keeping and caring for them more difficult. Are you prepared for adult hormonal birds that might bite, scream, refuse to be handled? What will you do if they need to receive medicines? Can you towel a wild bird to apply a medicine or bandage? Are you prepared to make the commitment to caring for, and providing proper accommodations and veterinary care for, three parrots, two of which will likely never be pets? I think you should probably pass this situation up and wait until you have your own place, and then if you want to put some space and funding aside to get another bird (maybe a suitable companion for your current bird), that might be an option.

Endlesaley

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aley
Thanks guys,

I really know I shouldn't get them, just needed to hear some rationality. I wouldn't mind dealing with their "issues", as I do have bird experience, but it just seemed like an impulse thought rather than an actual plan. I just can't stand the idea of them going to a home where they might not be treated well, although I dont even know that will happen, just the idea of it. I cant save them all though. Thanks again. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.