• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Diffuser's and EO's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Anyone here use Deffusers and EO's? I'm on a holistic group on FB for parrots and they've recently been talking about deffusers and EO's. They've been talking about the benefits of the oils/stories about sick parrots that have been cured because they were using a certain oil) but I also read that its tricky/can be dangerous until you get the hang of what you're doing. So, I'm wondering if anyone else here does this and should I do it with my flock or not? I've been learning more about holistic foods/spices, etc for parrots and for humans in the case of an emergency or something like that.

love4birds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I haven't looking into it much myself, but a friend of mine has just started using EOs and has had great success with them. She has a bird with papillomas on his cloaca, and EOs have helped him pass droppings much easier, less straining and without pain noises.

Like I said, I don't really know anything about it, but it's something I've been meaning to look in to:)

makibird

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vicky
What are EOs?

My parents bought a reed diffuser and I was worried so I called the vet to query it's safety. He said considering Jake's recent history, ie chest infections, not to let it near him.

TheBeesKnees

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lindsey Champine
Gen,

Did not know of this fb page, but I think you're referring to avian holistic care? I asked to join the group, sounds REALLY interesting! THANKS!

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Gen,

Did not know of this fb page, but I think you're referring to avian holistic care? I asked to join the group, sounds REALLY interesting! THANKS!
yes, that's the page! :D Its extremely interesting, I've learned so much from there already!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
EO's are essential oils. I was in contact with the person for awhile who sells them about Sheba. She asked me lots of questions. I replied finally and never heard back from her. Her stuff is way over the top expensive IMO. Ginger has tried these I believe.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
I have been reading a lot about them lately and think I am going to give them a try. I have read some great things.

From what I understand, Young Living has the most "trusted" and pure essential oils and are one of the only bird-safe companies out there.

HollyT

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Holly
I researched EO's a while back. I remember reading they're dangerous to cats. I have a cat so I've avoided using EOs

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
I'll have to find out if they are dangerous to cats. I'd love to try them, but with a kitten in the house I just know it could go badly easily.

dodgegirl

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Victoria
EO's can be helpful for many ailments. But PLEASE PLEASE be careful. A little nibble on a forgotten diffuser ring can be deadly. EO's must not be ingested they are potent. Work with someone whom is experienced preferably speak to a holistic vet. Things from nature can be just as dangerous as man made chemical drugs.

Take Tea tree oil for example. People have applied 1 DROP to their pets in a non-lickable area and a large dog can experience paralysis of the back legs within hours. I found this out on a forum looking for natural flea treatments. I thought it was a fluke but was wrong. Many people reported cases such as this. I use tree tree oil as a weekly preventative for headlice on my kids as it happens every year in their school. I now keep it locked up so none of the animals can chance ingesting it.

I love natural treatments but use them with caution and seek the advice of an experienced individual whether it be a vet or breeder or holistic practioner. Be careful at your local health food store as they may or may not know what they are talking about. Hope your research goes well.
Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.