• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Difficulty navigating cage...

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
So, in a new bit of Buddy oddness, she's off the floor, but sticks to the perches in her cage. She really wants to be as high up as possible. The problem is that her food and water is on the bottom of the cage, and we can't lift them to where she wants them unless we hold them.

This has never been an issue before, and she seems healthy again (and LOUD). Any suggestions?

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Can you get some of these little food cups (most pet stores have them too) and hook them up near her favorite perches?

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
So, in a new bit of Buddy oddness, she's off the floor, but sticks to the perches in her cage. She really wants to be as high up as possible. The problem is that her food and water is on the bottom of the cage, and we can't lift them to where she wants them unless we hold them.

This has never been an issue before, and she seems healthy again (and LOUD). Any suggestions?
buy new food/water dishes that you can hang higher in the cage. I don't use any of the dishes that came with my cages because they put the bowls low where they can be easily soiled.

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
We secured a food dish higher up, and I left her millet on the floor (trying to motivate her to use the whole cage.). I'll have to look into the water dishes. Her cage is good for just her, but I don't want it too cluttered with stuff...sigh.

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
The higher food dish was a hit. Buddy went right to it. We'll get a new water dish tomorrow. Today, we just dropped her off at the water a few times. She's blind in one eye still (her only issue), which the vet says is why she's staying off the bottom of the cage. We were thinking about a bigger cage down the line, but the vet said her current size is perfect, considering the vision issues.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very good that placing the food dish higher has worked out for Buddy.