• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Difficult bird!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaJerzak

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jackie
Good news! Logi has actually been eating pellets. Im finding the little bit of seed actually being left in the bowl....

But here's the problem... he is only eating the pellets that are being baked in birdie bread. And the the vet said good start, but its not healthy just eating that.

Any hints to get this bird to eat more pellets?? I figured with this start, I can start putting more and more pellets in the birdie bread each week.

Never thought it be this much trouble with a baby bird! He was only 8 1/2 weeks old when I got him, and he was already a seed junkie at that point!

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Good news! Logi has actually been eating pellets. Im finding the little bit of seed actually being left in the bowl....

But here's the problem... he is only eating the pellets that are being baked in birdie bread. And the the vet said good start, but its not healthy just eating that.

Any hints to get this bird to eat more pellets?? I figured with this start, I can start putting more and more pellets in the birdie bread each week.

Never thought it be this much trouble with a baby bird! He was only 8 1/2 weeks old when I got him, and he was already a seed junkie at that point!
With some birds it takes a long, long time. It took me 6 mos with my GCC. You have a good start doing that. Most people suggest you go in declining ratios down (on the seed) (up on thr pellets) and depending on the individual, you might have to go slower than you thought. An AA member from Australia whose name is Gerard, handle Stormcloud did a test starting at the beginning of the year. They made the thread a "sticky" which means it doesn't disappear as it ages. If you look in the food/nutrition section you will find it up at the top. LOTS of good info there. Also, I tried up to 6 kinds of pellets before Birdie fell in love. Good luck.

JaJerzak

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jackie
Thanks for the info! Yes I think im on number 6 of brands off food for Logi. I originally started the decling the seed to pellet ratio. What happened was when I was about 20%seed, Logi was getting really nippy. It turned out he wasnt eating the pellets and was basically starving by the end of the day. Luckily I realized that was the case right away. The nipping stopped as soon as he was eating enough. Luckily now hes filling up on birdie bread (with the pellets) instead of the seeds.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks for the info! Yes I think im on number 6 of brands off food for Logi. I originally started the decling the seed to pellet ratio. What happened was when I was about 20%seed, Logi was getting really nippy. It turned out he wasnt eating the pellets and was basically starving by the end of the day. Luckily I realized that was the case right away. The nipping stopped as soon as he was eating enough. Luckily now hes filling up on birdie bread (with the pellets) instead of the seeds.
You should that sticky by Gerard/Stormcloud on the pellet conversion project.

Status
Not open for further replies.