• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

different pellet brands for betta

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamagdalena

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
My betta Kingsley is tired of his pellets. I get him the Hikari brand, after some research I discovered they are very high quality and very nutitious for him.

He has been eating them for almost a year now, with blood worms given as a treat weekly with no problems. A few days ago he began only eating one pellet or two instead of his usual three. He is tired of the taste because i gave him another brand and he gobbled it right up!

my question is... what brands are good? any suggestions?

this is my Kingsley

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
Gorgeous betta. I have always used Hikari and just fed various different kinds. I also gave frozen treats (they smell terrible, but they love them). Like this Fish & Aquarium Supplies: Frozen Foods

as well as peas and other things. With all the variety they never got "bored" with any food. Thats just been my experience.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
yikes Kingsley is a BEAUTY!!! :heart: :heart: :heart:

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
Oh WOW!~He's beautiful!:heart: I've always given mine a variety as well....flakes, pellets, frozen bloodworm, and mysis shrimp. I think they get bored...

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
mine never cared much for flakes. I mean, if thats all that was offered they would eat it. As for otehr veggies, I could only get my bettas to eat peas LOL.. oh and cucumbers...

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
this is the ones he eats

I haven't seen other flavors of pellets with this brand.

I am going to look into OSI and Life Spectrum Lauren, thanks!

Houston when you say you feed your betta different kinds of hikari, you mean different types of food? Because I was looking into them and the pellets I put a picture up above (bio gold) are the only ones i found for bettas. The other hikari foods are said to be for other types of fish so Kingsley can't eat them right?
Which ones do you use?

do they have to specify "for bettas" for me to be able to feed them to him?

how about this

or this?

I know the brand Tetramin is sold readily where I live, but I have no knowledge of the quality. Like this one. Again I don't see betta's in the photo or description, but they do say "tropical fish" so that would apply right?

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I feed mine the TetraMin granules. I was just wondering the other day how he was doing. Remembering when you first got him.

lamagdalena

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
I feed mine the TetraMin granules. I was just wondering the other day how he was doing. Remembering when you first got him.

He's doing great! He became a bit of a tail biter unfortunately. I think it was the filter so I buffer the output with a sponge, it gets rid of the current and he seems happier like that. I will take some pics soon and post.

currently he is in a 5 gallon tank but I want to upgrade to a 10 gallon one hopefully before july. :heart:

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
Erika I always fed mine other foods and I had one for 9 years (that is NOT a typical lifespan) and he was about 3yo when I got him from a cousin. I always fed pellets not "specified" for bettas. I would ask Carol though (waterfeller) she would know better than I ;).

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I always mix up my bettas diets! :)

My two just recently died (had one for four years and another a few months only - but i think he had something wrong with him when i got him..)

My guys ate pellets (don't remember the brand), flake, dried blood worm, frozen bloodworm, and a few brine shrimp every now and again and they did great!

Gigi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Vickie
There are other freeze dried foods you can use, like brine shrimp or meal worm.
My betta just gets this Wardley Essentials Betta Food pellets from Wal-Mart. Really I think they're all made of the same stuff... One pellet isn't going to taste much different from another. I think the freeze dried foods are the best source of variety for your betta. Also, you can feed your Betta a thawed, deskinned pea (not from a can), about once a month. It's good for their digestive tract or so I hear.

Jess

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jess
I always fed mine the hikari pellets and my bettas did great on them - add a bit of variety with some live bloodworms and brineshrimp as bettas love live food :D

Status
Not open for further replies.