• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

different beak sizes, does anyone let all of their birds out at the same time?

Fritzgerald16

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
I am having some anxiety about the 3 very different birds I have here. They get out of cage time at different times and Fritz's cage gets covered when the other two have their turns. He is a little protective of his cage and I don't want any accidents happening. I saw a video earlier of a home-flock ( parakeets to macaws and everything in between) all out in the house at the same time and I thought :omg: that's amazing but it looked like an accident waiting to happen to me. I know Fritzgerald panics easily, I would be afraid that if one of the other birds scared him he would probably attack out of fear. Sky is just too little to hang out with Mia, so my flock will forever have separate out of cage times.

Other than people with multiples of the same species/same beak size, does anyone on here let all of their birds out at the same time or was what I saw (on instagram) and anomaly?
I don't want anyone getting the wrong idea that I want to let my birds out at the same time, I don't. I am just curious if it actually happens and, if so, how did you get your flock to get along that way?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Yes and I monitor obsessively. If I’m going to be distracted I cage the troublemakers in someone else’s cage so it’s a treat. But you have major size differences so I don’t know if my case is helpful.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Yes and I monitor obsessively. If I’m going to be distracted I cage the troublemakers in someone else’s cage so it’s a treat. But you have major size differences so I don’t know if my case is helpful.
I'm more or less just curious how people make it work, so that does help! :)

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Mine are all out at the same time but they aren't allowed to interact. Nelson (GCC) wants to get close to Dobey but I can't allow it. Kiwi (IRN) has no interest in mingling. When I am holding Dobey both the smaller ones scream like crazy like they are saying....MY TURN! I mostly have to watch out that the smaller ones don't get close to Dobey because his beak could do a lot of damage if he was to get annoyed. Dobey doesn't fly. I don't know why. I presumed he didn't have enough feather structure but the vet said he did and one of these days I might be surprised.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
My birds are roughly the same size (Hahns Macaw, Sun Conure, Lorikeet and Jenday). The Hahns goes straight to trying to bite other birds toes off and the sun conure dive bombs the Lorikeets. The Jenday won't leave her cage anyway, so she doesnt really come into the equation - although I do have to ensure the Hahns doesn't land on her cage and try something through the cage bars.

So even though they are all roughly the same size, I cannot have them all out at the same time, which is a major pain in the rear - but it is what it is.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I have 3 shifts. Andre and Russell will get into tussells. Guiseppe and Russell will get into tussells. Andre and Guiseppe generally ignore each other. Jason won't come out of his cage. And the tiels beaks are just 2 small to risk with the others. So Andre and Guiseppe get out together. Then the tiels. Then Russell gets his turn last. But he gets his fresh food first while the others are out. Then they get there fresh food when they go back into their cages. Strangely enough the tiels chirp continuously until it is their turn. But Russell sits patiently waiting for his turn with just an occasional "hi Russ".

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
@Fritzgerald16 Thank you for starting this conversation! I have always wondered this, and even though I would love to have more parrots in my future life, this issue has sort of been lurking in the back of my mind.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jingo and Koopa could not be out with Gizmo. Koopa and Gizmo were jealous and tried more than once to attack each other, and Jingo wanted too be friends but she wasn't inserted and 4 years later he is still missing part of his beak. So I had to do shifts. I won't mix beak sizes anymore. Too much stress.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Mine are always out. They live cage free except for nighttime.
The two similar size species are both in my living room. Walter(macaw) is in an open room off my living room, sort of a dining room.

The amazon and grey are fine together, but if one flies to Walter's room and lands on his cage, Walter will run straight to them an attack.

I solved the issue by hanging a curtain where their flight path is. Walter can't fly.

Walter has a stand in my living room he stays on alot as well, but thankfully the birds don't fly on it.

If I leave the house the smaller two are put in cages, Walter is always free.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Greenwing, Mealy and Goffin.

Big size differences. As young birds, yes, they were often out together with supervision. As mature birds, no.
My two smaller ones can be together, the Amazon at times gets feisty, but my Goffin can out maneuver him in a second.

My macaw is not allowed near them at all anymore. Too territorial and reactive. He likes them, but I fear could strike if upset or irritated.
Chaos loves stopping in to say hi, but that is on my arm, and only for a moment.

I now have separate rooms for them.
Chaos macaw in the living room.
Solomon and Sweden in computer room.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Everybody lives in the same environment (supervised of course). It pretty darn important that the smaller birds all fly as that's what keeps everybody safe.
5 amigos.jpg

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Everybody lives in the same environment (supervised of course). It pretty darn important that the smaller birds all fly as that's what keeps everybody safe.
View attachment 260853
so the big guys don't go after the littles? I agree, right now my two smaller ones are growing flight feathers out. Despite lack of flight feathers they are both pretty good fliers, especially the parakeet Sky.
How did you introduce your 'toos to the little ones? I would love for everyone to be able to be out together, but I am way too scared to try it due to Fritz easily panicking.

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Ella is out with the littles Babe and Daisy. Ella is adorable especially with Daisy when they are on the playstand together, Daisy is usually is on the orbit and Babe on the bottom running around playing with foot toys and Daisy sits on the top branch eating as norm. Ella always leans down and talks to her, and says good girl and throws kisses her way. I don't ever leave them alone, but they play in harmony quite well in the same space.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
so the big guys don't go after the littles?
They don't "actively" go after them. They are not friends by any means but after a lot of time and conditioning in a low key, non aggressive environment they are not seen as a threat at all. Just those things that fly around. And there's enough room for all.

Again after a lot of time/conditioning the littles are very aware of the "dangerous two" and are always wherever the they aren't. They've learned and know where the Tooz go and hang out. They go and hang out everywhere else. Paths rarely cross. Just like little birds outside. They don't sit in the same trees as the hawks. :)

The first few months are critical IMO. They must be allowed to co-exist in a low key, non aggressive environment long enough for them to accept each other for who they are. Just other birds. This works best with big/little birds IME because of the size difference. They don't see each other as a threat like similar sized birds of different species tend to do. Some species are just instigators and don't make good flock mates.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Some species are just instigators and don't make good flock mates.
Just out of curiosity, which species would fit the category of instigators? I imaged that both budgies and parrotlets would fit that category, but perhaps I am wrong?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Just out of curiosity, which species would fit the category of instigators? I imaged that both budgies and parrotlets would fit that category, but perhaps I am wrong?
Conures and Caiques come to mind.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Conures and Caiques come to mind.
Uh oh!
So since we do not have a huge aviary do you suggest letting the big guy out and look at the little ones?
Fritz HATES when they fly, it startles him every time and he does an alarm call. I am just so afraid he would bite someone out of fear if one flew near him.
For now it's just fun hearing about how others make it work!