• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

differences between cameroon and congo african grey?

Nancy1129

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nancy
Hi, i came across a parrot breeder and they have cameroon and congo african greys for sale, the cameroon is more expensive. i tried to google pics but no luck.

does anyone here have a picture of a cameroon african grey?

and also there are soooo many scams in my area, so i was wondering if this breeder is legit or not.
its parrotsonly

thank you! :) :) :) :) :)

Tinta

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Aye.
It's just a word some people add so they can charge more for a grey.
Sometimes the ones sold as "cameroon" greys are marginally larger in body size and lighter in color, but they are just CAGs. Every species has a degree of variance.

If you want a CAG that's a bit larger and lighter and don't mind the extra fee then go for it.
But I think there is a chance you might just get a "normal" grey with the name just added for profit.
I imagine it would depend highly on the breeder.

Last edited:

Amy Pierce

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Also never heard of a Cameroon Grey. All I know is that there are Timneh Greys and Congo Greys, the Timneh usually being smaller with a maroon tail and transparent patch on beak, and usually does not sell for as much as a Congo African Grey :)

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
My understanding is that Cameroons came from the Cameroon region and were much larger and lighter silver colour. They were considered a separate subspecies at one point. The problem is when exporting, birds got moved around and it was never clear where they were from and likely all crossed. Genetically they may be the same as CAGs but there was at least a visual difference at one time. But they've never been kept separate to keep them "pure". I wouldn't pay extra as you would not be getting a different subspecies.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
With African Greys there are only the nominant, Congo African Grey (Psittacus erithacus), and the subspecies, Timneh African Grey (Psittacus erithacus timneh). Any others that you see listed are just birds that may be bigger in size or have another trait that some may find desirable. Most of these are really Congos.

Matt

Timmy&Crash

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Rick
I don't know how reputable that breeder is, but if its the one from central California they do have good prices but I would try and get references on your own about them don't rely on what any breeder sight says. and look into all the questions you should ask about buying a baby bird.
Good luck

petiteoiseau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bibi
I had two of what they call 'Cameroon' grays, I still have one of them, Sophie. And yes, it's a Congo that is a bit larger and more silvery in color. It's just a breeders scam, same as the Long Feather lovebirds, they are not a subspecies or anything like that, they are just Congos that, either because of genes or better food, grew larger and had a lighter color that were bred to other birds that were larger and also had a lighter color. Eventually, the different physical characteristics were 'set' and all the babies came out larger and lighter.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
To quote a Caribbean song sung by Harry Belafonte, a long, long time ago - Man Piaba

It was clear as mud but it covered the ground
And the confusion made the brain go 'round.

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:

Psittacosis

Checking out the neighborhood
I've heard of Cameroon African greys..this guy tried to advertise one with a higher price to me. well it mostly involves phenotypes. Like hair color in humans differences in the size of two chihuahuas. Breeders label certain greys as Cameroon greys for a profit its highly unlikely they are actual Cameroon greys. Those greys were just named after the location where they were observed. Usually the breeders label the greys that are a pale smoky color and bigger in size or sometimes slimmer but taller than regular congos as Cameroon greys. Even though greys look similar they come in a slight variety of sizes. This is a picture of a supposedly Cameroon grey vs my own who is darker than most regular greys. Its just coloring they come in different tones sometimes doesn't make them a Cameroon grey. But if you want the light colored one by all means. ITs just a ploy they are not superior they're the same just have a slight difference in color. IMG_1437.JPG IMG_0697.JPG are so mixed that it's usually just the lighter color on the wing region

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Sometimes, birds received these names due to point of export, but now, it's mostly marketing. Tres Maria Amazon (exist, but extremely rare), Magna DYA, Chaco BFA, Ghana grey, Bolivian B&G, Giant GW, Nicaraguan scarlet, etc. Some of these exist, but the possibility of getting a pure one are slim to none. Get the phenotype or paint job you like: hopefully, you'll be looking at it for decades. ;)