• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Diet

Taylor Zaugg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Taylor
What do you give your Ekkies for treats? Also what's a good "mash" I can give him for his first breakfast and dinner with me? I know there's a lot of different veggies and fruits out there, but do you guys know any that are specifically good for Ekkies? Thanks! So excited to pick him up Wednesday.

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I give almonds, cashew and pine nuts. But toast and water crackers he will do anything for!!

My AV suggested as tree dwellers anything that grows in trees that is safe. He said predominantly fruit to me but to be honest i give Echo so much variety everyday he picks what nutrients he needs. He also gets a little cooked meat and egg when molting.

He couldn't get enough broccoli, sugar snap peas and kiwi 2 months ago but now its strawberries, persimmon and brussel sprouts. He is very found of baked sweet potato too, pasta and briwn rice. I offer native foods as well daily. Fresh gumnuts get devoured in minutes. (Picked low so not as many birds near them for diseases and washed thoroughly)

I use this link: diets

You will find a lot of good info there.

Is the eckie you're bringing home the one in your picture? Just wondering as you keep reffering to 'him' and your picture has a girl in it.

Taylor Zaugg

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Taylor
The Ekkie in the picture was just another one I've held. Im getting a male

janicedyh

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
This may be helpful Meeting the Special Nutritional Requirements of the Eclectus Parrots Dobey gets a variety of greens and Veggies. I make batches and freeze them in baggies to last two weeks at a time. Dandelion greens are always a hit. An example of a typical mash up of veggies is dandelion greens, bok choy, collard greens, rainbow chard, kale. I grate into it carrots and radishes and cooked quinoa and sweet potato or yams...I add some cinnamon and turmeric. sometimes its difficult to get the best fruits for him....quava, pomegranate, passion fruit, dragon fruit and the like. Since Ekkies don't drink a lot of water they need to get it from what they eat. Sometimes I have to settle on on various melons with seeds. I offer papaya but he isn't wild about it...he mostly eats the seeds. Sometimes he has chia seed but it has to be soaked for a while until it absorbs water and is covered in a gel consistency. I didn't used to do that until I read that if you don't the chia actually absorbs fluid after eating and can be a cause of dehydration. I have yet to find a great snack for Dobey, he turns up his nose at most snacks and begs for the smaller birds treats, those are a no -no for him because they are fortified and he has a tendency to wing flip and toe tap if I am not careful. For example .. he can only have 3 harrisons pellets or 3 or 4 sunflower seeds at most or be in for a night of flipping and tapping. He doesn't seem to have an issue with orgnaice unsweetened banana chips but those are treats and not a part of his "real" diet. Feeding Ekkies is a challenge for sure. I'm always reading and trying to do better. There are a lot of conflicting advice floating around.

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Since Ekkies don't drink a lot of water they need to get it from what they eat.

I didnt know that! Mine drinks all the time. I find he goes back to his cage even. Will even ask for water or tries to steal mine. Interesting. Wonder if it means anything.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
I didnt know that! Mine drinks all the time. I find he goes back to his cage even. Will even ask for water or tries to steal mine. Interesting. Wonder if it means anything.
"If fed 80% raw fresh foods then Eclectus will not need to drink a whole lot of water. They should get most of their moisture from the fresh fruits and veggies they eat." from Eclectus Parrots: Loyal Companions

"“If fed the proper diet, Eclectus drink very little extra water. Eclectus should get most of their moisture in their diet from fresh vegetation.” from Eclectus Bird Species - Petcha

I also read that Ekkies on pelleted diets require more water because they are not getting it from raw foods

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
"If fed 80% raw fresh foods then Eclectus will not need to drink a whole lot of water. They should get most of their moisture from the fresh fruits and veggies they eat." from Eclectus Parrots: Loyal Companions

"“If fed the proper diet, Eclectus drink very little extra water. Eclectus should get most of their moisture in their diet from fresh vegetation.” from Eclectus Bird Species - Petcha

I also read that Ekkies on pelleted diets require more water because they are not getting it from raw
Thanks for your post!!

Echo's diet is actually pretty spot on. No pellets and mostly fruit/veg and daily branches offered. With occasional treats.

I'll discuss with AV. Might be another reason for it.

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
@janicedyh

All blood work is good but calcium a little under. Vet isnt concerned about water consumption.

We did however notice he does it when we are drinking. Last night every time my hubby took a sip of his water so did echo. He would stop if hubby stopped. Of course we couldn't help ourselves and got hubby to repeat it a few more times just to see if coincidence. By the end we were both laughing so much at him. (Echo was very serious watching his every move) He did realise we were laughing at him so he left grumbling which of course got us laughing more. Such a funny boy
. :laughing6:

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Great to hear the good report. They are such sweet little guys. The only time Dobey drinks a LOT of water or in most cases his tea in the evening after having his coconut oil ..(.since he is a nakedity little guy) his crop is like a balloon. Otherwise, I rarely see him drink.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Have you done any tests?
And could you list diet please.

Pellets do put more strain on kidneys. As they are dry. And Eclectus are fruit eaters.

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Have you done any tests?
And could you list diet please.

Pellets do put more strain on kidneys. As they are dry. And Eclectus are fruit eaters.
He's had 2 lots of blood tests now and both have come with perfect kidney function.

He eats fruit and veggies mainly.Has some seed in his cage in case hungry but doesnt really eat it. I sprout seeds and legumes for him too. He gets a lil pasta or rice if im cooking it for me but honestly not enough. No pellets atm.

Since original post he now marinates his wooden foot toys in water to soften them. Splashing about and playing in it. The birds obsessed with water.