• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

diet without pellets/fresh veggies

Vera

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
I have tried feeding mash in the morning 7am and take it out 8am before i leave for work.but is doens't work for them
They take bite and go back to sleep. I ha e warched them doing this in the weekends. The get up and have their breakfast an hour after i woke them.that time i am already gone for work.
(And i do give them complete darkness from 7pm till 7am, so they aren't sleep deprived)

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
So they are not awake enough before you leave in the morning to eat breakfast? Yours like to stay in bed for a little bit before eating. Tough one. Do you remove their regular food at dinner time and just leave the veggies in for a while? Sometimes they have to get hungry enough to try it. I don't mean starving them by any means, but i they only see that at dinner time maybe they will try it. Sometimes it takes a while as well.
My boys wake when they hear me. My little one looks forward to 'helping' with breakfast and the big one enjoys the foraging treat and the attention.

Vera

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
At dinner time i feed them sprouts and or veggies. Before bedtime i feed a little bit dry seeds. Everything is taken away from the cage before i put them to sleep.
So i have to feed veggies at dinner time (they hardly touch them.not hungry enough)
Or i have to feed it in the morning and leave it in the cage during the day.

Don't you think the above diet with dehydrated veggies and herbs is good enough? I could also ad some nuts and beepollen. Maybe leave the eggfood out?

So a mix of dry seeds, dehydrated veggies and herbs, bee pollen, spirulina and sprouted seeds,grains and legumes.

I have read that bee pollen and spirulina contain lots of vitamins.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Most if not all raw whole food wont "spoil" during the day if left out ..its the cooked foods that "spoil" ..if you think about it in a grocery store most if not all raw whole food are not kept refrigerated they are kept out in the open and maybe under a sprayer for the veggies but not the fruit ...they will do fine if left out for the day ..I leave my morning food out from 6 am till supper time and have never had a problem ...just because you cut an apple and leave it out and it turns brown doesnt mean it has "spoiled" its just the reaction to the oxygen ... :)

Vera

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
Hmm maybr you are right about that. Never that about it that way l. :)
Will re-introduce veggies on a skewer.
What are your birds favorites?

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
My guys like just about anything veggies and fruits ..I give whats available ..this week I have started with peaches apricots pears and mango for their fruit and cucumber broccoli kale zucchini sweet peas in the pod squash and sweet potato for their morning food and then their mash for supper with rice or egg or sprouts ....if I was to do a skewer I would do apple or pear with zucchini maybe bell pepper ...hard fruits and veggies so they last on the skewer :)

Vera

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
thank you! will try some veggies and fruits for them
what do you think about the dry mix i want to make for them as base food:

Canary seed, white millet, yellow millet, paddy rice, japanese millet, safflower seed, grass seed, peeled oats, hemp seed, red millet, yellow panicum, buckwheat, flax seed, niger seed, rose hip seed, sesame seed, white dari, pine seed, barley, mung beans, clover seed, marian thistle seed, red milo, red panicum, white perilla, rape seed, radish seed, spinach seed
Nettle, fennel, shepherd purse, sage, yarrow, ribwort. thyme, chickweed, wormwood.
Broccoli, carrots, white cabbage, spinach, courgette, bell pepper.
bee pollen, spirulina, walnut

(with or without the eggfood?)

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
That does sound like a good dry mix ...here is what I use as a dry mix more or less I used a cup each of and mix it all together ...shelled sunflower , hemp granola, green pumpkin , cockatiel seed, buckwheat groats , oat groats, hemp hearts, flax , rolled oats, canary mix, sesame , quinoa red and white , brown long grain rice, chia ,...dried fruit raisins, mulberries, blueberries,papaya,pineapple,apple,apricots,mango,banana ...Nuts hazel , walnut, almond, brazil, cashews, pecan , pine ...quinoa noodles , and cheerios ....plus different teas Greywood Manor Teas :)

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
To me you are doing very well, already.
It is rubbish that you have to feed pellets (Not Tops, as they happen to be the very best food called pellets). Why people keep saying you have to feed pellets, is beyond my comprehension.
Join Jason Crean or any of the other groups who promote feeding real foods, and will help you.
Calcium can be as easy as grinding up to a fine powder and sprinkling over their seed mix.
Sprouting: Yes you can cover a huge amount of nutritional needs with just sprouts.
Maybe not with the mixes you buy. But you can add so many other decent seeds to this.
Seeds: Well we all know in America it is hard to find any that is not adulterated.
But find a good mix. (It should sprout if any good.) There are other tests you can do to find out if it is any good or rubbish. Once you have a basic good quality one, consider what other seeds you can add to this. Again it is simple to make a very good mix.
Pellets: The only way pellets are going to be any good, is if you feed at 80% or more. As the supplements and other additives are only trace elements. So if you only feed at 25% or less they are a waste of time.
Just Americans have been sold a dummy. And now think they HAVE To feed pellets.
Well I can tell you the rest of the world is doing great without any manufactured foods, in our bird diets.

hotfoot jackson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
If you choose vegies that can cope with being out in the cage, they should be OK. I use the things I mentioned before and Dusty has never had a problem...I'd probably steer clear of thing that are very watery, like watermelon, pear etc. If you give only little bits they should get eaten before they go off

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Here is just one video where they actually studied a birds diet.
This is by no means the only study of what birds eat in the wild. Yet some keep trying to you we do not know what birds eat in the wild.
And anyway if that was the case How did any pellet company come up with a so called 'complete food' in a dried processed biscuit?

Any enjoy this