• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Did I do the right thing

Bluejayandemmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kara
Hey everyone my mom bought a febreze plug in air freshener. She had it plugged in to my wall I was reading that those types are dangerous for birds. So I unplugged it did I do the right thing.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes. They are extremely toxic. Your mom obviously needs to be educated about living with birds.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How long was it plugged in?

Bluejayandemmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kara
She plunged it in about 7 last night I unplugged it at like at 9 because my it was giving me a headache. Then my house was starting to smell again I plugged it back in like 2 then I was read ing it wasn't good for the I the unplugged in immediately

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Vinegar removes smells from air, you can also get an air purifier. What is smelling, exactly? Try removing the source.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Please review the list that @Lady Jane provided for you and make sure your bird is safe. IMO any of those room fresheners just cover odoers with a sickening perfume smell - cleaning well always defeats unpleasant smells.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
You definitely did the right thing. They're not good at all for birds. I would open some windows and try to air out the house.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Vinegar removes smells from air, you can also get an air purifier. What is smelling, exactly? Try removing the source.
Vinegar just does the same thing as an air freshener. It covers one smell with a stronger one, but won't actually get rid of it.

Airing out the house might be a good solution if possible.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
None of the scented things like candles, plug-ins, sprays, heated oils, are considered safe for birds (or other animals for that matter). I think someone had mentioned cinnamon sticks in hot water (?) but I'm not sure.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
She plunged it in about 7 last night I unplugged it at like at 9 because my it was giving me a headache. Then my house was starting to smell again I plugged it back in like 2 then I was read ing it wasn't good for the I the unplugged in immediately
I'll also add that if it was giving you a headache it means that your own system doesn't like whatever fumes/scent it is emitting. Not your fault. I loved perfume but now find I can't use any or be around any as it gives me a reaction like hay fever.

Heather F

Yeah, if the house is smelling, the best thing to do is get rid of whatever is causing it to smell. Take out the garbage and recycling, clean out the fridge, give the bathroom a scrub, etc. If the weather permits, air the place out a bit.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm glad you unplugged it, birds have died from those things.:eek:

Bluejayandemmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kara
Yeah, if the house is smelling, the best thing to do is get rid of whatever is causing it to smell. Take out the garbage and recycling, clean out the fridge, give the bathroom a scrub, etc. If the weather permits, air the place out a bit.
That wasn't necessary causing the smell . There something dead in the walls of my house that decomposing.

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
Highly toxic...

MY first question would be what is the source of the smell are you trying to mask? Is the source related to the bird, like from bird poop? If this is the case you would need to take the bird to a vet, as smelly poop is indicative of illness.

oh, I posted before i saw the dead carcass post... you, should really try to locate the animal and remove it from the wall - open the wall or ceiling. You are faced with potential helath risks, swarms of flies, some dead animals are particularly foul smelling and the smell will get into clothes and ruin them...

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
That wasn't necessary causing the smell . There something dead in the walls of my house that decomposing.
Then I hate to say it but your parents/landlord are going to have to bite the bullet and figure out where the dead thing is and remove it. Adding scented caca inside isn't going to fix the problem only cover it temporarily. And if one thing got inside the walls and died, more can too.

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
None of the scented things like candles, plug-ins, sprays, heated oils, are considered safe for birds (or other animals for that matter). I think someone had mentioned cinnamon sticks in hot water (?) but I'm not sure.
Yes, boil them water with cinnamon stick, cloves , smells like Christmas or bake some orange skin :)

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
Yes, boil them water with cinnamon stick, cloves , smells like Christmas or bake some orange skin :)
I like your ideas:) Do you have any others?

Shauna0522

Moving in
Real Name
Shauna tuck
I was wondering i know the potpourri, candles and all air fresheners are bad for birds. But what if i made my own potpourri from fresh flowers and put them in some hot water would that be safe for them?