• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Diary of a Wimpy Budgie

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Misty´s a sweetie!

As white as snow ❤

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have always adored white budgies. Thanks for the video. I am sorry I just cannot keep your budgies straight. Who is who and what gender? You do not have a signature of any kind to help me out. How many do you have?

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I'm sorry to say I'm glad to have Misty and Jack on their own now. It's obvious they are both a lot more relaxed and approachable now.
While in the cage they get on with their own things and not tied together constantly. Jack is all over the cage, playing with the toys, swinging, and finding ALL the treats I hide around their cage. Misty isn't so active, the exact behaviour I'd expect from a female. They regularly come together and act like they haven't seen each other for days. Preening, feeding, chattering and generally genuinely excited.
I'm loving having the old Jack back. He's approachable and curiously friendly again. I even got a peck on the nose last night, something I would never have got in the last few weeks. Misty is still shy of me, but she's showing her curiosity watching Jack's 'friendship' with me develop again. Like two old friends - glad he hasn't forgotten.
Misty's cere is still mainly blue, as Jack's is still mainly pink. It's like they don't want to mature, but they don't care that it's inevitable.
In the right light you can really see the blue coming through.
_20190321_095439.JPG
My little cotton ball.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awwwww they´re so cute!!! :D

How old are they both?

How is Sprite getting on with your sister?

Great to see that Jack is back to his old self :)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Well her feeding has calmed down. She was like a starved child with all the food around the cage at first, but she has learned rather quickly that it's there fresh every day so no need to binge. Jack is also feeding her, which has helped her settle a little quicker. Her feathers aren't tight to her body any more showing she is really comfortable.
One thing I'm watching is when Jack is feeding her Minty will come over and tap him on the back of the head. It's not a peck, seems more like a reminder that he's still here.
I'm trying to get some pics but they're all camera shy. That will probably change when their fountain gets here.
Oh the poor little ones. This was such a nice story to read over. I can't believe how mucked up she was. I am so appalled by how people "care" for birds. It is just heartbreaking.

I am very glad that you were there to get the two of them a better home. I am a bit annoyed the original owner had the audacity to get two of them back.

They are so diversely coloured. Lovely little flock you have their :)

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
How old are they both?
I've actually lost count. Jack was supposed to be 14 weeks when I got him. My introduction post was 6th December, I had him then. Would make him at least 6 months of age.
Mmmm, good point @Zara. So maybe a couple more months to go.
Sprite is in full-on shy mode right now. She's back into an old cage with a few of her old favourite toys, so there's familiar things around her.

Last edited:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
We've been really hit bad with the hormones. It's particularly bad for both the budgies as they're entering puberty right now. Both of them have lost most of their trust in me, so they've been extremely skittish when I'm around.
Jack seems to be over the worst, sitting at the side of me now and accepting millet when I'm holding it. He's even been beak tapping my finger nails this morning so I'm well happy for him.
Misty is the complete opposite. She hasn't ventured out of the cage, staying in the roost most of the day. She livens up when Jack goes in and pays her some attention, and comes down often to eat. She's also perching on one leg and fluffing a little the way budgies do when comfortable so I'm not too worried about it. She's just finding this month really hard.
But the hormones are only this bad once a year, and puberty only happens once in a lifetime - she'll be fine soon.
Obviously I haven't been able to work with her as I like, but at least she has Jack to help her, and show her that I'm nothing to be scared of.
I'm playing Jack some r2d2 and he really is listening. It's only been a couple of days and he already has a couple of r2 squeaks in his normal vocabulary. We'll see how that goes ;)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have a similar method with Jaime and Aldora, Jaime knows me and I rely on him to show her that it´s ok. He does a great job :) I hope that works for you too!

What is R2D2? (Please, I know R2D2 from star wars, but is this something different?)

Each day is a day less ;)
I´m just so happy the two are getting on well ,and they seems quite content with each other

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
What is R2D2? (Please, I know R2D2 from star wars, but is this something different?)
Star wars R2D2 with a twist
Yes, it's genuine.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh wow! That´s pretty cool :roflmao:

That´s a pretty vocal little guy too! The girl looks terrified hehe

You will have to post a video when Jack gets into it :D

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I was partly inspired by another thread, the one about strangers asking if the bird can talk. Yes, Jack can talk, but only Droidspeak.
He is already extremely vocal, I just want to expand on it. I wouldn't mind if he didn't pick it up, but there's already a few squeaks coming through.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Progress!!
Now Jack's hormones have simmered WE have got into the training again. Before spring hit he would just about step-up for me so I had the intention to start again from square one.
We started with 10 minutes of r2d2 training, then into step-up training. My plan never stood a chance. He flew straight to my finger before I even offered it. He has been exploring the sofa around me, and even ventured around me. Started on my hand, then quite some time with the shiny thing on my wrist (watch), progressed up my arm, preen my t-shirt sleeve, aroung my shoulders and down the arm to my other hand. He will now of his own accord fly across the room and land on my shoulder. Recall will take a little longer but I think we've done enough work for today. Any more interaction will be initiated by Jack.

But this thread is Misty's so I'll not be missing her part in today. She's out of the cage! :dancing:
I think she came out to see what me and Jack were doing. She came within 2ft of me, onto the arm of the sofa and just watched. Not scared, not even skittish. I think her spring hormones may have settled too.
Both birds made great progress today. Jack got plenty of reward millet after, and of course took some to Misty.
Pic of the day:
_20190327_112236.JPG

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Fantastic update!!! You are all making great progress
I love the picture! :D

Jack got plenty of reward millet after, and of course took some to Misty.
Such a romeo!

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Misty has been showing her natural budgie inquisitiveness today. I was watching from the kitchen when she flew down to where I normally sit, walked around beaking and nibbling everything. Jack was still on top of the cage watching her so she was doing this for herself. She also likes my phone, just as Jack does. It's not shiny with the case closed but it is what she sees in my hand so often, so a lot of interest in me and my things.
It was great to see but not long lasting. As soon as I came back in she was away to join Jack.
Small steps.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
While Jack and Misty are seperated she's been getting a lot more adventurous. She'll still take flight if I approach her at all but she is following me everywhere. Definitely interested in me but not sure of my intentions. She is singing a whole lot more. Tau will set her off with a wolf whistle or a flock call, which she instantly responds to followed shortly by Jack.
She is also showing interest in Tau, something she never got the chance to do with Jack chained to her. They are both still unsure but Tau has started letting her investigate his crest through the bars. He used to run a mile whenever Jack got close.
The whole dynamic of this situation has changed for the better. The whole flock has relaxed. They sing together, usually instigated by a wolf whistle from Tau. No screeching at all, which is also doing Misty nothing but good.
I am also working on Jack's diet. If I can help him with his urges then we can get them back together again. With this in mind I've changed Misty's food too. And she loves it.
And of course Jack and Misty still grab their tender moments through the bars.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What are you feeding? Any birdie bread or herb salad? My two adore both and herb salad is so healthy. Can you get it on UK Amazon?

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
What are you feeding? Any birdie bread or herb salad? My two adore both and herb salad is so healthy. Can you get it on UK Amazon?
I've switched their main seed mix from Hagen to Goldenfeast.
I've also made changes to the chop. Organic white rice instead of brown. Less spinach more sweet potato. I'm working on a hunch that folic acid or chemical supplements could be making Jack extra randy. No change yet but it is only day 2 now.
Side Note: My budgies' breath smells wonderful now, a gorgeous whiff of anise. The eucalyptus in the seed mix will make sure their internals are good and healthy too :D

ETA: They get kaytee bird greens too, but no birdie bread as yet I'm still building their diets.

Last edited: