• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Diary of a Wimpy Budgie

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I said a while back I was only going to adopt birds now, no more fostering. Well I met a young budgie today who needs a little TLC and I brought her home.
The vet said she had come from a hoarding situation, sharing a small cage with 8 others and no perches or toys. Just a bare plastic floor, a bowl of wild bird seed and a bowl of water. Hygiene was the last thing on their old owner's mind, that's all I'll say about them. You can imagine that life on the bottom of a dirty cage can leave a bird dirty, but this poor girl's flights and tail really are stained bad. She also wouldn't even eat seed from a bowl, she would only eat off the floor.
The vet has done a grand job cleaning the crud off. He has also got her to take food and water from bowls and she has learned to perch.
She's fully vetted. No parasites, nothing toxic or contagious and no obvious injuries, so she's home with me now.
The plan was to split the double flight cage and let her have one side to herself with the boys in the other side for company. That lasted half an hour give or take. All three were stuck at the bottom of the divider introducing themselves and trying to preen through the bars for that time. With Minty being the older and calmer boy I let him through to meet her. No dice. They both sat silently at each side of the cage and did nothing.
I took a chance with the recently hormonal Jack and changed them over. He was a hit and it has definitely brought out the calm and tender side I'd seen before the hormones. They sat together, beak tapping and preening. Jack has really taken this girl under his wing, possibly because they're roughly the same age.
I've removed the divider and all 3 birds seem happy, though I am watching them.
Jack showed her what the bath is for, she had a quick step-in step-out but she knows it's there and what it's for. He has also shown her there's nothing in the seed mix to be scared of, and is teaching her all about the pleasures of egg and rice.
She's a white DF Spangled, around 15-16 weeks old and I'm calling her Misty as I can see just a little of the blue showing through. I'll keep this thread updated like a diary, rather than a separate blog for as long as it takes her to mature some and become tame enough to move on. I really hope I do get the option to adopt this one.
_20190301_154917.JPG _20190301_154820.JPG _20190301_161941.JPG
You can see the staining in her tail feathers in the first pic.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awwww poor little thing! How can people be so cruel!

I´m so glad she´s with you for now! Your boys seems to have taken quite the liking to her, I really hope you get to keep her! She deserves a good home and to be treated like a little queen ❤

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I once said my flock was complete - that was 4 birds ago.:)
That is so me. My sister says I'll end up as the mad bird man. But when I see a bird like this and hear what they've been through I just have to. Even when I bought birds I'd always go for the runt.

Last edited:

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's so cute! I hope you get to keep her too.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I don't know. I may have jealousy/hormone problems with Tau. I've posted the details in the tiel forum.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
She’s awfully cute! I’m so glad you took her home, and I hope she stays with you forever!:heart:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Well. I can safely say she is settled. She has preening moments with both the boys. The boys are still preening each other, playing chase and chewing everything. I was worried introducing a female to two males, but none of them has let me down. I thought this would be a long thread, discussing bickering and fighting. Both Jack and Minty are only just over they're hormonal spat so I was ready for things to get really bad again. But it hasn't happened. It's like they've all been together since day 1.
Life is good - sometimes ;)

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
She's beautiful! And very lucky to have found you! You've done a brilliant job with her. Respect from across the pond!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Life is good - sometimes

Finally we have a "happy story" to read. I have always had a love for white budgies but never had one. You both are so fortunate to have found each other and bless you vet too. I hope there are no hormonal squabbles between them. Good luck and I am so looking forward to the continued diary of Minty.

:smileflower:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
...a passing thought on messy tails...Sunshine Tiel likes to "do his thing" on the edges of his food bowls. He doesn't do anything on the water bowl...just the food bowl. The problem...he jams his tail into the food and messes it up while he's doing his thing on the edge...:rolleyes:

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
What a little beauty she is. And what a transformation from the stained feathered little gal who didn't even know how to perch! I am so glad you have helped her, and I hope that the boys will continue to teach her and get along with her in the future. Can't wait to hear more about the adventures with this one and your flock. Amazing that she is a healthy little thing. :heart:

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Well her feeding has calmed down. She was like a starved child with all the food around the cage at first, but she has learned rather quickly that it's there fresh every day so no need to binge. Jack is also feeding her, which has helped her settle a little quicker. Her feathers aren't tight to her body any more showing she is really comfortable.
One thing I'm watching is when Jack is feeding her Minty will come over and tap him on the back of the head. It's not a peck, seems more like a reminder that he's still here.
I'm trying to get some pics but they're all camera shy. That will probably change when their fountain gets here.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Glad she's feeling more relaxed. :)

As for pictures, not to worry...we don't want to upset them in any way...there'll be plenty of time for pictures later....;)

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Well! A little turn in the story.
The original owner has turned round on what he wants. He called the RSPCA and told them he only wants 2 birds back because that's all he can budget for. Well I never!
I've taken full advantage today and visited the vet. He had quite a few of her cage mates left and was going to send them cross-country to a partner surgery.
So I have brought home one of Misty's old friends. She's a maturing Green Split Sky Blue Dominant Pied DF Yellowface Type 1.I know, quite a mouthful. I had to write it down to remember it, but she is delightful.
Again Jack has risen to the challenge though this girl being more mature knows what's good for her and tucked straight into all the delights in the cage.
I was going to let the budgies fly today, but I'll put that off a few days. Good to have a balanced cage, more for me than the budgies.

Last edited: