• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Diarrhea

Kiwithebird

Meeting neighbors
CEBE4780-AA6F-49FA-8D92-C13D29E04A5C.jpeg 5CB13BFB-1DE7-4117-8CA4-BE3D9597F6E3.jpeg So we decided it as time to get Kiwi a friend since we are unable to give her the time she needs. So yesterday we got Remie. After we got her in her own cage and settled into it I noticed her butt was wet and she was having diarrhea. I have done research on it but I’m not really sure on what to do. I have also noticed her picking at her butt as well.

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
General rule of thumb is if feces are sticking to the feathers, something is wrong and a vet visit is needed

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hope you have quarantined her. If not you should do it now - you may have gotten lucky that she didn't pass anything on to your other bird.

Wash up between handling these two birds.

music2music

Meeting neighbors
I would recommend bringing her to the vet in case if it's something bad. Normally when there's feces on their feathers, it indicates that something is going on.

Kiwithebird

Meeting neighbors
She is being quarantined right now. She has been since yesterday. The cag s are next to each other but that’s it.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Cages next to each other is not quarantine. Your existing bird can still get sick from being caged next to her

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ideally what you want to do is house her in a separate part of the house that doesn't share air space if possible, and you'll want to wash your hands frequently, at the very minimum.

Kiwithebird

Meeting neighbors
She also keeps opening and closing her mouth could that be something too?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Combined with the abnormal droppings, it sounds like she's sick.

Kiwithebird

Meeting neighbors
We called the vet and they said it’s probably stress but to watch it over the weekend and call back on Monday

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I worked at PetSmart for many years, and have dealt with hundreds budgies. I have never heard of those two symptoms combined being signs of stress, especially diarrhea that sticks to feathers. Any time we would get one in we would move them to isolation and get them to the vet asap. It's up to you what you do but keep an eye on both since your first bird has already been exposed to whatever your second bird has and I would personally recommend that they both go to the vet Monday since you're waiting till then anyways. For a little bird diarrhea can kill very quickly, so keep that in mind.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It could be stress but she could be ill so the best thing to do is get her to the vet and have her checked out. Make sure she is in a separate room from your other bird and change your clothes or wear a cover up when you take care of her. It is important to wash very thoroughly when you go from one bird to the other. I hope all will be well with her.
Also contact the person or the store where you got her from. Did they offer a health guarantee?

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
That really doesn't sound like stress to me either... She needs a vet

Kiwithebird

Meeting neighbors
The diarrhea has gone away. There is a bit of water to her poop and her butt is still wet.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
It might be that she doesn't have enough food in her system to go. I hope I'm wrong, but keep a good eye on her regardless. Afaik, birds don't usually have the runs unless they're very sick or ate something they shouldn't have.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Based on the pictures you provided.... I'd say she needs to see a vet. She does not appear healthy. Overweight, with egg, has tumor, or something. Bloodwork is recommended.

Kiwithebird

Meeting neighbors
She is looking and is a lot better today. There is no more diarrhea and we got her to go in some water to get her butt washed off and it looks better. She has been chirping and flying around her cage.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She is looking and is a lot better today. There is no more diarrhea and we got her to go in some water to get her butt washed off and it looks better. She has been chirping and flying around her cage.
Good that she is doing better. You should still consider taking her to the vet for a new bird exam especially since you have another bird.