• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Dexter's strange poop

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
I *think* the crisis is averted, but I wanted to inquire what you guys think might have been the cause.
Yesterday, Dexter's poop was very strange. It was missing the solid portion altogether. There was just the clear liquid, no more than what is usually mixed with the solids. I was getting ready to rush him into the vet if symptoms persisted. He was acting, eating, and drinking normally, though he looks bad from his molt. (Scraggly chest feathers mostly). Today, he has a normal poop. I'm watching him like a hawk in case this happens again. I'm visiting the vet with him in a few weeks, I will ask for a gram stain or something.

I had seen poop like this from him before. Months ago, he swallowed a small tube I used for hand feeding, (I used a small syringe, the tubing was an inch long, it only extended the syringe tip to be the length of an appropriate sized syringe for a bird his size, I did not gavage feed him) and the next day (while I scraped the money together, as fast as I could) his poop was just like this. It was because 1) he'd all but stopped eating 2) what he did eat didn't make it past the tube. It was just the urine (I've forgotten my terminology), no solid waste.
He was eating fine yesterday, playing, drinking, etc. And is still today.
I wanted to know your guys take on it.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Neither event has really anything to do with the other.

Now. You can not make judgements about any single poop event. They could have eaten/drank something you don't know. You need to see consistently "bad" poop over a number of days before alarms go off.

Poop doesn't all come from the same place at the same time. There are multiple organs involved. Poop is just where the stuff meets up.

If your bird drank a good cup full of hot water from the shower head like Tika does. You can expect a hot blooded squirt gun to be walking around for the next hour. :)

Last edited:

Erikalynnha

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Papaya's poops look different everyday depending on what he is eating and if he decides to play in his water bowl or not. They have been straight liquid, black, red, almost every color of the rainbow. I don't worry to much anymore or I'd drive myself crazy!

HolliDaze

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Neither event has really anything to do with the other.

Now. You can not make judgements about any single poop event. They could have eaten/drank something you don't know. You need to see consistently "bad" poop over a number of days before alarms go off.

Poop doesn't all come from the same place at the same time. There are multiple organs involved. Poop is just where the stuff meets up.

If your bird drank a good cup full of hot water like from the shower head line Tika does. You can expect a hot blooded squirt gun to be walking around for the next hour. :)
He does that too xD I don't usually freak out about that stuff, but I've been sick ( from sleep deprivation due to insomnia, so he can't catch anything), so I've been nervous about everything. His molt, combined with my constant discomfort, etc has been making me panic when he sneezes! He's been molting for months, hasn't even dropped most of his feathers. The last thing I want is for me to lose him because I was sick. He has become my world since I got him.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bighug:

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Occasional watery poops are perfectly normal. It just means he drank a lot of water or ate something watery.
If you are really worried, watch what he eats/drinks, and don't give him anything unusual - poops should go back to normal within an hour or two.