• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dexters (narcissistic) favorite word

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
Of course I'm teasing with the narcissism part, but wowza does Dexter like his name. While he uses Most words in context, his name is not one of those.

"Dexter, hey dex, deeexxterrr, dex, hey dexter, Hi dexter", the list goes on. Any way you could say his name, he knows it. Dexter has a near constant stream of speech. 50% is unintelligible as of yet. 25% is clearly something, but I don't recognize it yet. The other 25%? Split evenly between his name and things I can properly understand. He says his name when he sees me, when he's bored, when he's playing, any chance he can. Today, he decided to jump on my head. His nails are sharp, so I quickly ducked under a blanket before he could scratch me up.

He sat there for a moment before leaning down, putting his beak right next to my ear, clearly and softly saying "dexter" and running off.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
:rofl: what a character!

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I've heard that a person's favorite word is their own name. That even when they can't hear what else is being said that they can recognize that. Sounds like it might be true for Dexter. :smuggrin:
He says his name when he sees me
Buzzard says his name when I come home and he'll repeat it if I take too long putting my things down before I come see him, and he said it one time when he was really excited but none of those other times. But then again, he's not the talker that Dexter is.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
LOL. Cute. Elvis also says "Elvis" constantly and adds it to almost everything he says. Cockatoos do think they world revolves around them, right. :)

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
Edgar also likes his name. Yesterday he was sitting on the perch and repeating over and over again bye bye Edgar bye bye or poop Edgarku poop or Edgar. And he was imitating me sneezing. And I was checking his time. It was 20 minutes of constant talking and vocalizing with many many Edgars. And I do believe hi is narcististic. He likes being prized very much. He listens me prizing him with such interested attention.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Milton is the exception here...he refers to himself as "BIRD"...I've only heard him say his name once in the eight years he's been with us...

Erikalynnha

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
Jellybean calls himself "Beeeeaaaaaannn" really dragged out xD and likes to talk about how pretty he is.

His new thing is telling himself "Good job Bean" after he does anything. Eating food, stepping up, pooping...attacking Papaya :meh:yelling at the cats till they run away. It's kinda cute but also I'm like no bullying Papaya is not a good job.