• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dexter molted his very last clipped flight feather!

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Eloy I will follow your advice. Thank you!

RachelM

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rachel Mayrhofer
That’s just like our new scarlet girl we rescued last weekend. They had her flighted at the rescue but clipped her without our permission the day before we went to pick her up. I’m so sad about it.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
That's so very sad. Was it their policy to clip every rescued bird?
At least she was flighted before clipping so that when her flights do grow back, she'll be up and soaring again like a pro.

RachelM

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rachel Mayrhofer
@Nikomania No, I believe they encourage keeping flighted birds, but when the vet came to the rescue for her exam, she clipped her wings because I suppose she assumed we’d wanted them clipped. They did email us asking if we’d wanted them clipped or not, but apparently we replied too late. :(

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
How does it go with Dexter? :)

she assumed we’d wanted them clipped
They did email us asking if we’d wanted them clipped or not, but apparently we replied too late. :(
That is a really important thing, so they emailed you? And when you didn't reply they just assumed... :(
I’m so sad about it.
I can understand that. But train her to flap her wings so she not will loose her muscles until her flight feather are back.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Eloy thanks for asking! He'd probably be coming along faster if I always had a receiving person for him. When I do have one, then we lightly toss him back and forth. He'll fly in that direction, but his landings aren't very graceful.
He's taken off on his own a couple of times. The last time he did, he actually broke off one of his brand new flight feathers. :bash:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
People clip birds in those situations because they're too lazy to deal with a flighted bird, they assume one wants that like most bird owners, or it's a safety issue.

Glad Dexter is practicing. I don't have a catch person, so I toss Daff to a bed or a java tree after showing her where to land. Otherwise, she overshoots.

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
I'm happy for you but I'm still waiting for my baby to drop his first clipped flight feather. :rofl:

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Farlie I know. The struggle is real. Took Dexter 16 months to grow in his last one. Undoubtedly they'd clipped him immediately after his last molt.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Lurch luckily was hard clipped when we got him. The flying attacks would have been awful as he was pretty mad at the world at that point. After about 6 months he molted out all the flights and enough grew back he could do short hops. Whenever he did a emergency panic flight he'd be winded and nap for an hour he was so outa shape. As he got more confident and got his strength back he started flying more and more just because he could. At the end he'd gained muscle and was zipping around and flying through the pass-through wall in the living room without doing more than a couple of quick breaths when he was done.

Last edited:

KatelynDeanne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katelyn
Ahh this is exciting!! Lucy is molting right now too. Ive been saving all her big feathers in a ziplock bag. The floofies can go in the vaccum cleaner. I gave up on those:rofl::mariecleans:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Yaaaaaay!!!

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
That’s just like our new scarlet girl we rescued last weekend. They had her flighted at the rescue but clipped her without our permission the day before we went to pick her up. I’m so sad about it.
They did it that to Rosie, who's a strong flyer, too. I was mad. They told me it was for safety reasons. Was still mad. She molted all the clipped feathers, sans one, during the first few months she was here. Hopefully that'll be true for Maui too.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I didn't push for an answer since it was already done. I have two others from there; one was returned with a really bad clip job that she's almost molted out and the other wasn't clipped. In Rosie's case she is a strong flyer and can be hyper aggressive so I'm tempted to joke and say:

Us. :laughin: