• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dexter molted his very last clipped flight feather!

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have been waiting 16 long months for this day to arrive! The last clipped flight feather is out! He was so severely clipped by the bird store before we got him that he'd slam hard to the floor whenever he stepped off his perch.
Now we're working on teaching him what wings are for. Let the flying fun begin! dexter1.jpg dexter2.jpg dexter3.jpg

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
That will be great, congrats! :giveme5:
And he has beautiful wings, and I hope he soon know how to use them. ♡

So say goodbye to that collecting stamps hobby you have. :p
I have always wonder if their is some of those that also have parrots? :smuggrin:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Outstanding.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
As Sarah would say, toss him onto the bed: it's a safe landing zone. Good way to build muscles and start out with baby steps.

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you! I will graciously accept any recommendations/suggestions that you might have to help us along. He's clunkily flown twice now when frightened, but he always thinks he's supposed to go down towards the floor.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
That's so exciting. I remember how happy I was when Elvis molted out his last clipped feather. Then the real Elvis shenanigans began. LOL.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
HOORAY! Let the fun begin!

He is going to be clumsy at first and there is a lot of him to be clumsy. Hold your nerve - he will get more co-ordinated and graceful with practice.

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Woooohooo!!!! One strategy that might work in teaching him how to fly is to gently try to get him used to start off ON/FROM the floor and onto a perch or cage. If he knows where he's supposed to go, he can then practice by going up instead of going down. Just a thought! And best of luck!

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Most excellent news!! :dance5::dance4::batnana:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I would let Daff see Annie flying to me and getting lots of attention for it. Then, I took her in the bedroom and gently tossed her towards the bed. Eventually, she was flying to the bed. And soon after that, she flew to me from the bed. Good luck!

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Today while Dexter was on his stand I heard the sound of a bird in flight. Normally there would be the sound of a thud from him hitting the floor hard afterwards, but this time there was only silence. I quickly went out to the living where I found him standing on the couch that was 4 feet away from his stand. I am ELATED! He spontaneously flew today, and he wasn't spooked into flight!

We're going to spend some time daily tossing him back and forth to each other until he really gets the hang of it.

He'd been clipped before fledge, so this is a huge accomplishment! So proud of my big red marshmallow!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh wow! How exciting for you all :fairy2: I hope he is keen to learn and practice so he can make up for all the lost fun and freedom. I am so happy for you all and I can not wait to hear of all his flying adventures and learning curves. :dance4:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I believe that the most important thing is to let them build confidence, so it's important to take it slowly if he seems anguish in any way.
And also it takes time for him to build muscles so let him rest to so his body can build the muscles he needs.
As he was flying on his own today (congrats) perhaps you don't need to train him so much.