• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Development ?'s

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Hi! It's j and TD, again. I've noticed that TD is not able to hold a piece of food in his foot and reach it with his beak. He tries in vain, but, inevitably, just about falls off his perch (and sometimes does). Is he just not coordinated enough, or just not big enough? He is rather small, I think.

Also, TD has yellow bars on his tail feathers, but whistles constantly and seems to be trying to talk. Boy or girl?

Thanks!

Cassandra.c87

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cassandra
Cockatiels aren't as good as larger parrots when holding food with the foot. some get better with practice while others just give up lol Hopefully TD is one who gets the hang of it because it sure is cute!. As for gender all juvenile cockatiels look female with barring on the tail, once TD goes through his/her first molt you will be able to easily sex depending on if the face goes more yellow and if he looses the baring on the tail which would mean male. for now it sounds like TD might turn out to be a boy :)

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
male tiels are very vocal...mine started to whistle when they were about 3 months...sounds like you have a little boy. :) None of my tiels, now and in the past have used their feet to hold food or toys - there are tiels that do.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Thanks, Cassandra and Cecilia! I just worry so about the little guy (or girl). I felt girl at first for no real reason. But with all the vocalization (gosh, some of it is so cute! ) I'm leaning towards boy.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Hi! It's j and TD, again. I've noticed that TD is not able to hold a piece of food in his foot and reach it with his beak. He tries in vain, but, inevitably, just about falls off his perch (and sometimes does). Is he just not coordinated enough, or just not big enough? He is rather small, I think.

Also, TD has yellow bars on his tail feathers, but whistles constantly and seems to be trying to talk. Boy or girl?

Thanks!

Cockatiels aren't foot eaters. It does happen but it is not a common thing.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Ok, I did not know that. He sure wants to be a foot eater! Thanks! So much to learn!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I love hearing about TD! Two of my tiels are foot eaters, and two aren't. My klutziest bird, Twilight, would do what your bird does when he was little. It was so cute to watch him try so hard to hold stuff in his foot, but not be able to quite get it to his mouth. I guess all of his persistence paid off, because he eventually got the hang of it!

barry collins

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barry
My birds have learned to hold down their food and toys on the perch with their foot and lean down and eat or play but never hold the foot up like a larger parrot. I don't think they do hold things up with their feet.