• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Designing cages for cockatiels

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
I have a lot of tiels. I have tried lots of different cage types. I finally tried two 34Lx24Wx36H cages. I connected the 2 cages by removing 1 side on each of the 2 cages and making one large cage....more of a flight cage now. My tiels are super happy and excited with the new set up.
All ready I've seen them flying more from a swing to a lower perch, or a perch to a ladder, etc. I have a lot of toys hung from the top, and sides, but getting a little worried about them getting tangled with more flying going on. Is there a cage design guide any where? Something to help you know the best placement for certain toys and perches? I find ladders hard to place. They never seem to be conisitant with bar spacing.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
There’s no guide that I know of, but I always try to place perches so poop doesn’t fall onto anything below. I keep most of my birds toys hanging from the top of their cages around the perimeter. This way they are not hanging all over and seem to give more room. I also place a perch near each toy. I actually don’t have any ladders in my cages, but use rope and wood perches and swings. I try to make it easy enough for my birds to get around, but not too easy.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
There’s no guide that I know of, but I always try to place perches so poop doesn’t fall onto anything below. I keep most of my birds toys hanging from the top of their cages around the perimeter. This way they are not hanging all over and seem to give more room. I also place a perch near each toy. I actually don’t have any ladders in my cages, but use rope and wood perches and swings. I try to make it easy enough for my birds to get around, but not too easy.
That is a good idea! Will try it myself. I'm trying to sell the Gloster canary young 'uns, when that is done I can connect 2 cages for the tiels.

Appolosmom

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bev
sorry I don't mean to sound dumb but how exactly do you connect 2 cages together

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
@Appolosmom ZIP TIES!!!!! LOL
  • The cages are almost identical , so it's not very hard. I just took them off their stando and put them on a table
  • I'm still trying to work out a few kinks obviously, and need to make a few adjustments, but it's pretty cool

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
sorry I don't mean to sound dumb but how exactly do you connect 2 cages together
Take 2 identical cages
remove 'middle' panels (the ones side by side - or the backs if you're doing back-to-back)
use zip ties to connect at all stress points

I have 2 XL cages i zip tied in 2014 for my finches. it's still connected even though we've moved it all over the place. Gave them 7 feet of flying room.

@Darklotus555 that looks great!