• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Describe your flock!

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Dan, my 9 year old granddaughter was here today playing with my green Linnie. She said that she liked that Gigi is green and couldn't imagine wanting a bird that is a less wild color, like say pink. I opened up your post and showed her your Rosie. She said "OK, never mind, that's a pink bird I want!" Yep, me too.

Last edited:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
My first bird was Tiki, a cockatiel who was quite traumatized and an older bird. Then Henkie(lovebird) found his way into my life. I was originally planning on adopting a cockatiel friend for Tiki, I couldn’t because of Henkie but thankfully Tiki and Henkie became good buddies. They didn’t cuddle but always wanted to be close to Each other and did everything together. They were cage free in my room so when they did happen to have an argument one just flew off and that was it for them. When Henkie fell ill he had to be caged when he came back home, Tiki stayed on top of it when I was gone and Henkie was Inside, and when I was home I would let him in there with Henkie.
F49476C6-E786-40E4-ACA7-F7EA2E79C777.jpeg
66053755-4F4A-41B0-89C1-000CABDE2E46.jpeg
They did have their quabbles, in this picture Tiki was annoyed with Hebkie because he was hanging off that branch by his beak. Somehow that annoyed him lol. But he never once attacked, he was like ‘hey don’t do that’, and if Henkie did it anyway he would fly off. He was really gentle. 7E64D734-35EA-44F7-A016-2EF3381151C6.jpeg
Now I have Henkie together with Fëanor, also a lovebird. Their relationship is ever evolving, I adopted Fëanor at 8 months old and Has now become a big hormonal boy. He tries to feed Henkie sometimes, Henkie isn’t interesting though. They enjoy playing games together, play together with toys etc, sometimes they nap real close to Each other, other times they take opposite ends of the room. At the end of the day they are buddies though!
CD2F577E-7F7B-4278-9158-30E425151213.jpeg

Kiwibird08

Jogging around the block
I have one tiny tyrannosaurus of the amazonian variety and he is more than enough bird for me!

I do admire other species- I think military macaws are absolutely gorgeous, major Mitchells cockatoos are really neat looking too, but truly, I am satisfied with my flock of 1 (and he's happy too, not the most social creature there ever was;)). IF I ever, for whatever reason, lost my mind I would only consider another amazon as I feel comfortable with their size and temperament and while there are no guarantees, amazons generally get along with their own kind.

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
I started out with three. Two green Quakers and one cockatiel. Why oh why I agreed to this combination I don’t know but it worked at first. Later that year I added two more cockatiels and a green cheek I saved from a couple who had them all crammed into one small round cage together. Poppy cockatiel came a few months later at Christmas. Another adoption. A few years later I added an adopted Budgie that needed a home. After that things went a little crazy! A year or so after that I added seven flock mates for the budgie, a couple zebra finches and two white Ringneck doves. The zebras had one clutch of babies, the doves have had a few clutches ( haha) and I addd another male cockatiel and a rescue feral pigeon. My flock is bigger than I planned but they are all loved and cared for. They all get along fairly well except the Quakers do not play well with others and Max my conure has naughty days where he likes to pick on the other birds. I practice birdy birth control but sometimes they are sneaky.
My flock of cockatiels has grown a lot over the years. I just adore them though.
We also have3 cats,3 dogs,2 bearded dragons, 1 gecko, 4 Degu, 5 Guinea pigs and 4 mice.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
5 birds. Organized chaos with splashes of harmony.

RaeT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rae
I only have the two currently, River (GCC, 5 years old) and Soleil (Sun, not sure exactly how old she is, we believe somewhere around 6 - 6 1/2 years old). They get along beautifully, rarely any squabbles and none that last more than a couple of seconds. They're together 24/7, preening, playing, cuddling, eating. They even share a cage now, even though I usually advocate for separate cages, as Riv just HATED to be separated from Soleil at the end of the day and Soleil wasn't thrilled about it either. Both are happier now.

It wasn't always like this, though; Riv adored Soleil from the beginning, but Soleil didn't want much to do with her. It took almost two years for River to wear her down, but she was persistent. :p

In the future I'd like to add one more bird to the flock, not sure yet what species it'll be.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I only have Bella, a cockatiel. I've had her since she was 7 weeks old and she turned 4 in December. She is not a fan of other birds and I am not a fan of cleaning cages so for the time being, she is an only bird. Some days I don't think that she knows that she is a bird. She thinks that she is a Princess.

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
Only 4 birds. It's complete chaos most days. A pair of Quakers that are angels one day and demons the next day. A sweetie Sengal that loves my husband and is super happy that he now works from home 3 days a week. Then there's Josie the grey who I have to watch like a hawk as she's obsessed with tearing up drywall and wood trim. I buy wood filler by the gallon! Would like to add another grey to the mix eventually. I also have an assortment of other critters. One big dysfunctional family.

Max Rain

Meeting neighbors
I might as well add my little flock here. I have three budgies and a 15 yr old Goffin's cockatoo. Pita the 'Too loves her green veggies and to scream at outside cats. Anything she shouldnt be chewing on makes a great toy. The budgies are only about half tame although two out of the three step up and they will all sit on my shoulders. I have a Ball Python named Dean, a outside cat named Glitter and a three legged rescue husky named Mika.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have two tiels and the obnoxious Amazon. Snuggles is an adopted male normal grey. He's been with us the longest - maybe 13 years.
After Sashimi passed two years ago or so, (he was our first tiel) I went on the hunt for a companion bird for Snuggles. I found Mr. Peepers through another bird lady who knew someone wanting to rehome her tiel. That tiel is Mr. Peepers - a white faced grey male.

Mr. Peepers was rehomed to us from the lady who had returned to school and wanted Peepers to have people around him more since she was so busy with school. I send her photo and updates. I told her I consider it an open adoption. Peeper's mom was thrilled with that. Peepers is pleasant, but he is territorial and does not want me in his home. That's OK. Snuggles doesn't like me in Snuggles' own home. He has gotten cranky in his old age. I wish I could find his adoption record. The vet says Snuggles is a senior citizen now. I doubt if Peepers is even 10. Snuggles just loves Mr. Peepers. He was so happy to see him after I took Peepers out of quarantine.

The Amazon is the obnoxious one. I love that bird, but he is headstrong and obnoxious. He has his sweet moments. Those took a long time to show themselves. I'm not welcome in his home now after years of being allowed in long enough to clean. He lets hubby in to clean, so that's good enough. The demon (W) mostly behaved himself when having his blood drawn by a new vet, but in the next moment, he became feisty. I am glad he did not land a bite. :wacky:

Last edited:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
1 angel. 3 delinquents. 1 terrorist. :D
My Linnie is ready for a nail clip, scheduled next week. Right now it's like playing with a little razor blade.