• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Depressed cockatiel

Chey

Checking out the neighborhood
I would really appreciate some advice. After my cockatiel lost his mate (not 100% sure of his gender), he became very clingy, then he basically stopped eating his seeds. I noticed his droppings became very small. So I'd hand feed him soft foods because that is the only time he'd eat.
I work quite often so I'm not always at home. When he's in his cage he does nothing, doesn't eat, play, chirp. He just sits there quietly for hours. i introduced a new cockatiel to him, I relied solely on the advice of the breeder and some colleagues at the pet shop who said introducing this new 10 week old cockatiel would be a good thing because they are social animals. The breeder told me she is self sufficient and eats seeds (she is 10 weeks old). But she doesn't eat seeds, I have to hand feed her and I'm not always here to do that. I bought a big new cage so that both of them could have a fresh start.

They aren't aggressive towards each other but they don't interact much.

He keeps biting me though. Whether he's in his cage or not. I can't even pet him anymore.

The only thing my adult bird does eat at the moment is millet. Even though I have a mixture of different seeds in his cage.

Could anyone please give me any advice on what's the best way moving forward.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How much do you interact one on one with them in one day? Are you feeding any fresh foods? What enrichment do you provide for them?

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you feed entirely seed? He should have a pellet/seed mix. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think the ratio is 70 % pellets, 30% seed.

When did the first bird pass away? Maybe it's too soon in the mourning process for the one left behind.

Chey

I give them a mix of seeds and pellets...it has a mixture of everything but they aren't fond of the pellets. I also give them fresh veg and fruit (they don't eat much of it), cereals, rice, eggs, chicken.

And normally when I'm at home the cage is open for them to go where they like. I give them a lot of love and attention when I'm home. I have toys in their cage. He would usually do a lot of exploring in the house but now he doesn't anymore.

It's been 3 weeks since the loss of my other bird.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Your tiel is still probably in mourning. He knows the new bird isn't his lost friend. And I'm sorry about your other tiel. Was he ill? If so, have you gotten your current tiel vet checked?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry for the loss of your 'tiel. The mate is probably still very sad that his buddy is gone. Give him time and give him as much attention as you can and make sure that he is eating & drinking enough. It's good that you are feeding him some soft foods to get him to eat more.
Do you know why your other 'tiel passed? You may want to take this guy in to the vet to be checked.
Did you do any quarantine period when you got the new 'tiel? If not it's too late now but when you get a new bird it's always a good idea to quarantine that one from your other birds for at least 30 days.
Hope that you 'tiel will start being himself again soon.
I notice that when my 'tiel is stressed/upset he decreases his activity level and eats very little. The one thing he will still eat, just like yours, is millet.

As for the new bird...is she/he eating anything on her own at all? Are you monitoring the weight?

Chey

My cockatiel flew away. She enjoyed flying to us and it was good exercise for her. We always made sure windows and doors were closed but one day I went outside to get something and she flew out after me.

The little one eats millet on her own but nothing else really. So when I feed her, I give her water via a syringe just to make sure she gets some water.

My older cockatiel isn't interested in the seeds at all these days.

I just want to thank everyone for all the help though, I really appreciate it❤