• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Demolition scheduled for tomorrow

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I feel so bad about this but I don't think I have a choice anymore. I must destroy all of Blu's hard work tomorrow. He built a huge 2 room masterpiece over the last couple of months. He's been completely obsessed and frankly I'm not even sure how he survives with how little he's been eating because he's so busy constantly building.

I usually allow him to keep his nest until he grows tired of it, and stops building, but he's been an absolute terror for too long now (over 2 months) and he continually lunges at me, even at my face, and bites me hardcore multiple times a day.

The straw that broke the camel's back for me though was that tonight was the first night, since he's been here, that he refused to go into his cage onto his sleeping perch to roost for the night.

I tried to persuade him out while the lights were dim and I seen him regurgitate onto the straws.:wtf:

I worry that it's unhygienic to sit with regurgitated mush all over the place. Plus he will probably wake up with poop smashed all into his feathers. I really hate to take it down but I don't think I have a choice anymore.

This was him tonight. It's actually mild aggression compared to how he has been lately. Notice him lunge onto my face for a second :lol:

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Wow, as he won't go in his cage, how will you be able to disassemble? Will he be able to watch- and if he does, will he hold a grudge? That little guy is protective of that nest for sure! Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Wow, as he won't go in his cage, how will you be able to disassemble? Will he be able to watch- and if he does, will he hold a grudge? That little guy is protective of that nest for sure! Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.
Haha, good questions! I am guessing he will probably be lunging and biting me the whole time as I take it down. But I have already been bit so many times that I'm not too worried about that. It will be quick though. I can probably demolish it in minutes.

I am worried though that he will be sad and upset. I hope I'm making the right decision? I just don't know what else to do? I could deal with his territorial behavior but I can't deal with him sleeping in there and getting poop all over himself. He is not the type of bird to move his butt somewhere else to poop. He just drops them anywhere and doesn't pay much attention to stay away from them.:unsure1:

When I've taken his nest down in the past I've always been reluctant but it has always turned out that he doesn't care because he's out of the crazed obsession. I have no idea how this will go since he's still in full nesting mode. I will update this when I do it.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Now I'm wondering...would it be better if he didn't see me do it? I could have a friend come over and have him in another room for a bit and then when we go back in Blu's room I could act like I have no idea what happened . Do you guys think that would be better than him seeing me destroy it?

Thanks for making think about this, @Sweet Louise

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I would get him in a carrier or something & take him into another room.

He's quite talented & loves his creation. It would most likely upset him to see it destroyed.

Blu would be less likely traumatized if he returned to not find it than if he saw you destroying his masterpiece. He'll search for it & likely build another but least you won;'t be in the dog house.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Now I'm wondering...would it be better if he didn't see me do it? I could have a friend come over and have him in another room for a bit and then when we go back in Blu's room I could act like I have no idea what happened . Do you guys think that would be better than him seeing me destroy it?

Thanks for making think about this, @Sweet Louise

Put him in the bathroom for 5-10 minutes and get rid of it. When he comes back out of the bathroom it's just gone. He's had it long enough for this year.

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Some of my Quakers , are weavers, they weave inside their cages at the top. I suggest to put him in another room, and maybe keep some of his building material, and put inside his cage, maybe then he might try to build on the inside. Instead of the outside of the cage.

Sweet Louise

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I would also think another room. And you are right, it is a health hazard at this point AND it sounds like it is changing his behavior for the worse. Perhaps pair the removal with some treats or new toys, something he enjoys, in and on his cage. It may help serve as a distraction.

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:omg: that was terrifying!!!!

Agree with everyone else, to put him in another room whilst you do it. Could you also add some new toys in its place to give him something else to think about when he comes back into the room?

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Sometimes we have to be the bad guys to do the right things. :D Darn he was fast though :rofl: Glad my guys don't have that speed. :hilarious:
Yes, he is fast as lightening :giggle:

I will put some toys around too but he's really only interesting in weaving. I will leave straws too so he can start over if he wants to.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I was so surprised that he held his poop in all night and dropped the biggest one I've ever seen him do once he got out. Usually he poops all through out the night. Well done Blu!!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Mission complete!

20190414_112611.jpg

I had my friend hold him in the living room for a few minutes while I ran to his room and demolished it. When I brought him back in he looked quizzically for like 30 seconds and then went to go get a straw to start over. His attitude is so much better already! He just calmy sat on my shoulder while I wiped down his cage and java perch. Such a brilliant idea to not let him see me do the dirty work! Thanks again everyone! It's too early to say if this will change his attitude completely but I can tell he's already better and that is wonderful

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
Wow, that's amazing! He's very talented. I've never heard of a parrot doing that before. I guess it depends on the species. I know some birds usually just find hollowed out trees to nest in.

I'm glad demolishing the nest went well and that he seems to be doing better!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Wow, that's amazing! He's very talented. I've never heard of a parrot doing that before. I guess it depends on the species. I know some birds usually just find hollowed out trees to nest in.

I'm glad demolishing the nest went well and that he seems to be doing better!
Thanks Amy!

Yes, quakers are known for building elaborate communal nests and that's why alot of people are not happy with the feral ones. They build them so big and heavy on powerlines that they become a hazard :)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am happy the dismantling went well. He is a very beautiful guy :xflove: