• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Decorative Feeders? Thoughts?

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@finchly or anyone else :)

What are the opinions of decorative feeders for finches. Please assume that they would be washed, cleaned and maintained. I like the orbs, they have a lot of surface area so the finches can more easily pick through the seed.

Do you have any other cool ideas that you have used with success?

XUCWl6oNj_-Rdb4e-VFgEXoF4.jpg

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I don't know. Are those glass? Would it be too hard for a finch to sit on the lip to eat the seed or are they just going to go all in and have a sit in buffet?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi Natalie!

I love things like that.
I used one of these for awhile

birdfeeder.jpg

and I have this now, as a toy but it could be a feeder.

cocconut.jpg

What I'd like to do is pretty plates (suspended with chain or rope) and cups... antique ones. But I'm afraid I would get lazy about cleaning them.

teacup feeder.jpg

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I love it! The tea saucers are a cute idea. I actually use ikea espresso saucers for my parrotlets' salads. They are easy to just toss in the dish washer. I like the idea of having some fun little decorative feeders.

How does the silo feeder you used work with husks, Tanya? I am currently replacing seed in the morning and midday because the dish in the quarantine cage is too deep and husks pile up fast. I am leaving the pellet crumbs in a separate feeder and he is just eating when he wants from that. He eats very little compared to seeds, but I have watched him eat some. Go Zippy! :D

I have already started thinking about how I am going to build a cabinet aviary, they are clever and make sense for finches. --This may be a next year project as I am already working on a flight for the parrots too :O

Their first home after quarantine will be this below. Natural branches will be used. It is taller than long, so not a perfect forever home. They can still fly 90cm back and forth. I have been giving Zippy some time to fly around in my bedroom so I think exercise wise they will be happy.

Specification:
Overall Dimensions (With Roof): 108 x 76 x 176cm
Cage Dimensions(roof space excluded): 90 x 60 x 120cm
Large Door: 31 x 31cm
Small Door: 14 x 11cm
Bar Spacing: 9mm

s-l1600.jpg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
How does the silo feeder you used work with husks, Tanya?
They fling them! It's a mess.

I use these tiny 'prep bowls' for their chop.

I have already started thinking about how I am going to build a cabinet aviary, they are clever and make sense for finches. --This may be a next year project as I am already working on a flight for the parrots too :O
Ahh great! This is fun and good for your birds.

That's a very nice cage! 90 cm is good, they can fly across it for exercise.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
No! Pinterest. But trust me I'm going to copy it. :D

And now I am really sad I let hubby talk me into selling my collection before we moved. Of course - 'where would we put it?' we are so crowded with stuff now because we didn't downsize properly. Guess I'll just hafta collect some more!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I wanted to share a few other ideas I found around the net. Some are clearly easier to clean than others. I think the natural log type would be the most difficult, but they are cute little ideas. The owl finches really like the feeding huts :) I also think the one with the vertical perches is clever. It is a good little birdie workout. The donuts seem like they could be dangerous if the opening is too narrow.

tea-cup-feeder.jpg modernist-metal-bird-home.jpg LOG2T_300.jpg Slide3.jpg images (2).jpg images (1).jpg 616kDni-FRL._SL1500_1800x1800.png HTB13MgALXXXXXcZXpXXq6xXFXXX1.jpg GS40018_03S.jpg Bird-Feeders19.jpg images.jpg 10-log-birdfeeder.jpg 2b1cd0c3d79f20fbb1671af356d7e245.jpg

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I thought you had owl finches until I clicked on the lower right photo and saw them all. I love the owl finch!

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I thought you had owl finches until I clicked on the lower right photo and saw them all. I love the owl finch!
They are so cute! I have always had a crush on them. I don't think they are compatible with my Zippy though. I am still in the process of getting Zippy's buddy. I am thinking he will be named Squeaky. I don't know why.. but it seems fitting :D Little zebra squeaks!