• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Decision made - getting an Amazon...

Cazcooky

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carol
image.jpg I have been researching different species for a few months now. Always wanted an Amazon, but got turned off by stories I had heard. Anyway, re educated about the differences between subspecies, so getting a female yellow crown.
Found a lovely breeder (haven't seen any Amazons for rehoming, and looking for a baby to bond), hens are sitting on eggs now. Breeder will harness train, begging recall training, etc
Next step is cage..
Suggested to me not too big, not too small. Too big, baby feel overwhelmed, needs feeling of security. Too small, easy to understand.
What size do you recommend? The too big concept got me.
Attached is one I found, breeder said is suitable size.

Cazcooky

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carol
Next, I said will have to get toys. Breeder suggested get steady supply of branches to chew instead. Makes sense. So much enrichment for bird to explore variety of flowers, seed pods etc (thinking mostly Australian natives as I know many safe varieties)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats on your new bird to be. :)

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Yellow Crowns are not the largest Amazon. I wonder what the bar spacing is on that cage?
If it is one inch it would probably be safe enough but she would have an easier time climbing around with a 5/8 inch. 3/4 inch also OK.
Personally I don't like those top openings...inconvenient and potentially dangerous. I do really like if they have a section that swings down to make a deck.

Cazcooky

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carol
I probably wouldn't use the top opening. Too high and I agree, but looking at what available choice is limited.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
That cage is not good quality and I also think that you should get one with a play top.
And those food bowls are also to small and to deep. Much better to get a wider and not so high food bowl.

I like this cage, and the bowls are great. Good quality and nice safety doors and lock.

Breeder suggested get steady supply of branches to chew instead.
I don't agree. You can't compare branches with toys.
My birds gets fresh branches to chew on but they also love their toys. I do a lot of DIY, so you don't need to buy everyone.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
And those food bowls are also to small and to deep. Much better to get a wider and not so high food bowl.
The cage Eloy posted is a better design.
Those bowls are definitely too deep, and that makes me think the bar spacing is going to be even more than 1", maybe 1.25 inches and that is way too big for the bird.

Cazcooky

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carol
Apart from the bowls (easy to substitute), and check on bar spacing, what else in wrong quality wise? Just so I know what I am looking at

Cazcooky

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carol
The cage Eloy posted is a better design.
Those bowls are definitely too deep, and that makes me think the bar spacing is going to be even more than 1", maybe 1.25 inches and that is way too big for the bird.
You are right, the wire distance is 3 cm (approx 1.2 inch)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Does this look ok?
The one I posted is bigger. But I think they are the same brand.
Apart from the bowls (easy to substitute), and check on bar spacing, what else in wrong quality wise? Just so I know what I am looking at
You will know if you ever had one. ( I had one for some days, and never again)
The one I posted is very stabile and have thick bars. The one you posted have small bars and is very wobbly, and also a lot of other things like.
Doors, lock, painting, bowl holder, all that is bad. And also that dangerous open top.

I will say that a minimum cage for an Amazon is 100 cm long and maximum bar spacing 2,5 cm.
Too big, baby feel overwhelmed, needs feeling of security.
I will say the opposite. A big cage will make the bird feel more comfortable and also more safe. A small cage will always feel like a prisoner to the bird.

Cazcooky

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carol
Thank you for your feedback Eloy. I am trying to find a cage, keeping in mind your feedback, with wire spacing 1.8cm (5/8") if possible, minimum size 24" x 36" x 48"
Just seems an almost impossible task.

I looked up the one you posted, looks like 1" spacing.

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
We just don't have the same choice of cage, here down under, so I understand your difficulty :(

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
View attachment 255731 not too big, not too small. Too big, baby feel overwhelmed, needs feeling of security. Too small, easy to understand.
What size do you recommend? The too big concept got me.
Attached is one I found, breeder said is suitable size.
I'd go with 24X32 give or take a couple inches either way. My amazons that are in 28X38 don't use much of the cage. But my 24ish by 30ish cages get used well and the birds seem happy. Also, I try to avoid the open top cages. I've heard of accidents involving them. My amazons always like the flat top with a small gym option.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
It looks fine.

I have a King's Cage 32 x 23 with a dome top that opens. They rely on the pressure of the perch to exert enough force to keep the two sides open, which I didn't like. Plus, I cover the cage every night because I don't have a dedicated bird room. It's a nice idea and very pretty to look at, but not very practical. The open top example above looks like a candidate for an accident just waiting to happen. I could see a bird trying to push the two sides apart from underneath and getting their neck trapped.

Here are two different Amazon species in the same cage, in the same size you're wondering about. What I found difficult was trying to anticipate every conceivable need they might have along with the conflicting information on what was bare minimum acceptable while the manufacturers had their own ideas. My bird likes to hang out on top, but he's also really happy to be in the bottom of the cage shredding cardboard boxes for hours on end when I have to tuck him away. He's more of perch potato than feathered acrobat hanging upside down and spends most of his time out of the cage with me.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It looks good to me. I can't tell from the pic, but with some cages you have to be careful not to leave the bowl holders empty or the bird can get stuck in the rings.

Cazcooky

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carol
Thought I should update, not getting an Amazon after all. Finally realised I really want another Alex.

Thank you all for the input.