• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Decision Help?! What bird would be best?

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Hi all!
I'm looking into my first bird. I was originally adopting a Rainbow Lorikeet, but unfortunately that fell through.... Now I'm looking into a Green Cheek Conure, Dove or Love bird.
My schedule is as follows:
I work Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm, and then am typically home evenings and weekends. Planning to have the new addition out as much as possible in the evening and on weekends, as well as for a bit in the mornings before I leave for work.
Only other things to consider is that I need a friendly bird (all are apparently hand tame and friendly). I also have well behaved dogs, who will not ever be alone with the bird. I'm more than willing to lock my dogs up for a short period to give the bird some free range as well.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Which one do you connect with most?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Well then honestly it really doesn't matter ;) How are their health histories? Why are they being rehomed? How old are they?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! If you look under the sections for individual species, there is a Good, Bad and Ugly section which might give you a better picture of what these birds are like. But keep in mind that each bird is different and what is "typical" doesn't apply to every bird of that type.

kitsunebandit

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Welcome to the forum!

I think all of those species would be ideal for yourself but I don't think you can go wrong with a green cheeked conure. They're awesome little birds. Most are friendly, fussy and can entertain themselves. Not overly loud either

It's interesting that you say dove. Are they collared doves you're looking into or something else? I used to keep and breed diamond doves. So tiny and sweet!

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd suggest a lovebird if the prospective adoptee is male*, but keep him completely separated from the dogs at all times. (And the bird will definitely need out time where he doesn't interact with the dogs, whether you go into a separate room to hang out with the birdy or whether you put the dogs somewhere else.)

Just ensure that the bird isn't treated like a second-class citizen compared to the dogs. They need just as much love and attention, if not more since they'll be locked up most of the time and the dogs get the kingdom. If you can't, then better not to bring one home as it would be totally unfair to the bird.

*Female lovies are great, too, but they're very fiery. ;) The boys are fluff balls in comparison!

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Wow!

You guys are awesome!!

The birds are all different ages, I'm leaning towards the Senegal only because I already have an appropriate cage, plus he sounds like he has a good personality, he is 2 years old. My new friend will definitely get lots of one on one time! I realize they need a lot of attention.

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Welcome to the forum!

I think all of those species would be ideal for yourself but I don't think you can go wrong with a green cheeked conure. They're awesome little birds. Most are friendly, fussy and can entertain themselves. Not overly loud either

It's interesting that you say dove. Are they collared doves you're looking into or something else? I used to keep and breed diamond doves. So tiny and sweet!
The doves I'm looking at are Ring Neck Doves apparently. I heard doves are super dusty, which is making me second guess a dove.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Welcome :greet13:

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
The doves I'm looking at are Ring Neck Doves apparently. I heard doves are super dusty, which is making me second guess a dove.
Dusty from dander? I haven not heard of that. Traditional outdoor dovecotes can get very dusty from droppings - many large scale pigeon keepers don't seem to be particular about keeping the pens clean, but that is not going to be a typical household situation. I'm not an expert, we have a dove who comes in only at night for safety, and I haven't noticed any dust, but we keep him and his carrier clean.

JBosley

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
Dusty from dander? I haven not heard of that. Traditional outdoor dovecotes can get very dusty from droppings - many large scale pigeon keepers don't seem to be particular about keeping the pens clean, but that is not going to be a typical household situation. I'm not an expert, we have a dove who comes in only at night for safety, and I haven't noticed any dust, but we keep him and his carrier clean.
Yes! Dusty from the dander. I heard getting a small air filter that plugs in can help though.

I've decided to get a pigeon or a dove. Just based on how calm and quiet they seem to be, based on my research!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Welcome to the site! You've gotten some great recommendations so far! I am a little partial to lovebirds as they tend to be a little more mellow than green cheeks. I don't know anything about doves so I can't help there!