• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Deciding on the Right Bird?

Psylk87

Sitting on the front steps
Hello Everyone,

Hopefully I am posting in the right place. I have decided I want a pet bird. I have had a canary before and my parents had a Cockatiel when I was young, but I myself have never had a parrot. I currently live in an apartment so I have to be mindful of noise level. I work about 8-9 hours a day and am home on the weekends. My bird would be out anytime I am home, and caged when I am at work. I plan to get it the largest cage that I can afford and has appropriate bar sizing. I have narrowed it down to Parrotlet, Linnie, Lovebird, Budgie, or Cockatiel. I have been researching them all but was hoping I could get some opinions. Linnies seem to be more difficult for me to get in Kansas than the others and no one around here seems to hand feed Budgies.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do you have allergies?
Will you be able to get more than one bird?
Are you noise sensitive?
What do you want out of the relationship with the bird?
What appeals to you about these species?

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
Can you tell us a little about your work schedule? 8-9 per day is too much in my opinion for a bird to be left alone 5 days a week. I would recommend getting two handfed baby birds so they can keep each other company and also you can play with them when you are home.

Lovebirds and parrotlets are extremely active so they would need a very large flight cage with tons of shredable toys. Lovebirds are also very noisy.

I have no experience in owning cockatiels but I would think any species of small bird if left alone for 8-9 hours 5 days a week would need a companion to keep them company and so they do not get depressed. Birds in general are very social creatures.

I also want to point out that a lot of people say that if you want a bird to bond to you only get one, I find that completely false and I really think the smaller species of birds need a companion most of time unless they aren't caged most of the day and out and about with their human companion most if not all day every day.

I have four lovebirds living together, they were handfed and had constant human interaction. Even though they live together they still choose me every time over spending time with each other because that is what they are use to and they want human interaction. Yet the times I am working or in school they have each other to talk to and play with.

The key is to find a good breeder that handfeeds their babies and spends a ton of time with them.

Psylk87

Sitting on the front steps
These are great questions and I appreciate them. I figured the best way to answer them would be to quote and use italics. So all questions are italicized and my answers are in regular type.

Do you have allergies?
Yes but not to birds to my knowledge. But I haven't been around them enough to know for certain.

Will you be able to get more than one bird?
Likely not, I had to press to get my landlord to let me have one. Potentially in the future, but not immediately.

Are you noise sensitive?

No. The noise is actually part of what I want about a bird. But noise is a consideration as I live in an apartment.

What do you want out of the relationship with the bird?

I would like a companion bird. I want to be able to play with it, teach it things, have it for company. I am prepared for the chance that may not work out but it is the goal.

What appeals to you about these species?

I like that they are small and seem manageable for a first time bird. Seem to be known for fun personalities. Are potential talkers (i know not all will and mine may not. i am fine with that). They seem to be somewhat cuddly and curious. All are listed as potentially being good apartment birds that are good with interacting with their owners.
Can you tell us a little about your work schedule? 8-9 per day is too much in my opinion for a bird to be left alone 5 days a week. I would recommend getting two handfed baby birds so they can keep each other company and also you can play with them when you are home.

I am a social worker and with my new job can more or less make my own schedule. I do regularly have to travel at least an hour away though. Most days of the week I can come home at lunch time, but will go back to work. If I skip lunch I can be home an hour earlier at 4 instead of 5. Otherwise when I am home I am pretty much home. I dont know that getting two is realistic right away due to my landlord. I pushed to get the to agree to one bird.

Lovebirds and parrotlets are extremely active so they would need a very large flight cage with tons of shredable toys. Lovebirds are also very noisy.

I have read about the activity and definitely plan to get any bird I get the largest cage I can afford as well as lots of toys to keep their mind busy.

I have no experience in owning cockatiels but I would think any species of small bird if left alone for 8-9 hours 5 days a week would need a companion to keep them company and so they do not get depressed. Birds in general are very social creatures.

I also want to point out that a lot of people say that if you want a bird to bond to you only get one, I find that completely false and I really think the smaller species of birds need a companion most of time unless they aren't caged most of the day and out and about with their human companion most if not all day every day.

I have four lovebirds living together, they were handfed and had constant human interaction. Even though they live together they still choose me every time over spending time with each other because that is what they are use to and they want human interaction. Yet the times I am working or in school they have each other to talk to and play with.

I appreciate this feedback, but I am not sure how realistic it would be for me at this point. I can absolutely look into it. Also I have read that some lovebirds and parrotlets are actually bird aggressive. Wouldn't a friend at that point add more stress?

The key is to find a good breeder that handfeeds their babies and spends a ton of time with them

Yes, I definitely plan to get a hand fed bird that has been well handled.

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
Yes, Lovebirds are territorial, specifically the females. I would recommend getting two siblings from the same clutch from a breeder at the same time so they can already be used to each other.

I really really do recommend getting two birds regardless of the species as they are extremely social animals and if you see them in the wild they are always with their flock/family. You will never find a lone bird wandering around by themselves.

Also some tips for finding a good breeder; make sure they have a health guarantee if they not don't buy from them. Also, one foolproof way to know if they are a good breeder is to ask how they house the parent birds and see the parents/ask for pictures. If the parents are taken care of well (toys, large cage, good diet, multiple perches etc) then I guarantee the breeder is a good and ethical breeder.

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
Tell your breeder to raise the birds together if not clutchmates. If the breeder says no, you say no.
As I always say, not every bird likes every human and vice versa. Make sure you meet any bird(s) before they move in unless you just don't care. If you just don't care, get a toy. Believe me, it's much cheaper, eats less and is much less demanding.
If you decide a bird is right for you, ask where your breeder to help you find an avian veterinarian. Also, ask questions and then ask more.
Patience is something required! Give yourself time to decide. With your experience, you know a bird isn't your possession to be taken lightly. Most likely, you'll be your bird's possession.